strange carb issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadpencil

Reaction score
I brewed my first all grain batch on December 31st, I am one to jump in with both feet and did a party gyle. I brewed the vanilla bourbon porter that I found on this site, for the first running I did the vanilla bourbon, the second runnings I did a coffee porter.
After two weeks in primary I cold crashed and kegged the coffee, i transferred the vanilla to a second carboy and added the vanilla beans. Two days later I kegged the vanilla. I let both sit on a cold room for a couple of days and then pi it the vanilla in my keezer and left the coffee in the cold room about 50 degrees. I carbed them both at the same pressure.
Today I tried the vanilla version and while it was tasty it didn't have any head. The coffee version has plenty of head.
Does the higher gravity 1080 vs 1050 take that much longer to achieve the same level of carbonation?

Does the higher gravity 1080 vs 1050 take that much longer to achieve the same level of carbonation?

Basically, yes. And you simply won't get the same type of CO2 absorption in a 1080 beer that you can in a 1050 beer. Ever had a RIS?

Cheers!

Probably has way more to do with kegging a 180 beer after only 2 weeks, as well as possible issues with oil from the vanilla bean. Ive had 15% Barley Wine that had great head, so not sure what OG has to do with the equation.

Did you check your SG several time to make sure your FG was stable? 2 Weeks is aggressive for a high OG beer.

Back