Wheat ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdwmonster

Reaction score
Just finished brewing up a batch of ESB. When I was cleaning up, I noticed my LHBS sold me 3lbs of Briess Wheat Malt instead of light DME. I know, my faut for not reading the label....but at any rate....I didn't.

So, I ended up with 4lbs of light DME and 3 of Bavarian wheat. Used Kent Goldings to get to around 40 IBUs, and pitched Safale S-04. Any idea if this will be worth anything? I'm not going to dump it, but I'm not a huge fan of wheat beers, so I'm kind of unsure what I'll get.

Thanks or any input.

Wheat just has a sweeter-tasting finish and contributes smoothness/head retention. It's not going to make a bad beer, but maybe not a great one. Definitely keep it around.

if you dislike wheat beers its most likely from the yeast not the wheat, i'd bet it comes out fine. besides, its not even 1/3 wheat (briess wheat is like 65% wheat), so it'll prolly just be a lil sweeter with a massive head

Yeah, I calculate it out to be about 28% of the grist. Likely enough to be noticeable, but hopefully not enough to be off-putting. I'll follow up in a few weeks when it is drinkable. Who knows - could be spectacular.

Yeah, I calculate it out to be about 28% of the grist. Likely enough to be noticeable, but hopefully not enough to be off-putting. I'll follow up in a few weeks when it is drinkable. Who knows - could be spectacular.

Please do update! Sometimes mistakes like this turn out great.

Please do update! Sometimes mistakes like this turn out great.

Update: Sampled some of this over the weekend. It has been in the bottle for 3 weeks, but still seems a little green. Overall, I was pleased with the results. Beer is a deep honey color with good aroma (as expected for a ESB). Pours to a nice two finger head (I wish I'd snapped a photo - maybe next time). There is a bit of wheaty aftertaste, which is slightly odd with the relatively high hop bitterness (40 IBUs of Kent Goldings), but it isn't bad, just seems unexpected. What I like is the "you can't buy that" feeling of this beer. It is truly unique, if unintentional. If I were to intentionally do it again, I'd cut back on the wheat - maybe more in the 1 to 2 pounds. At the end of the day, it is a drinkable beer. The beer has a lighter feel that some other ESB's I've had, and drinks crisp and not heavy. It is pleasant, and enjoyable. Perhaps not the best I've made, but I wouldn't think twice about sharing the batch with friends. And I guess in that light, it was a success, even if it wasn't what I wanted it to be.

As this beer has aged, it has really come together nicely. I'm happier with the results after 5 weeks in the bottle than I was with 3 weeks in the bottle. The wheaty aftertaste is all but gone, and the beer has a pleasant crispness to it. The body is decent for a beer of that gravity, and it does pour to a beautiful head. Head dissipates quickly, but that my have more to do with washing my glasses in the dishwasher. Either way, I like this beer. I'm still not sure I'd do it again, but if you like little wheat in your beer, it would be worth a go. I'd be happy to share the recipe if anyone wants would like make a batch of their own.

Back