First Gusher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamsdealer

Reaction score
Well, my 4th batch and I have my first gusher. I did detect some uneven carbonation on the IPA, but this was different. I popped it open and it slowly gushed out for some time. Funny thing is, the hop profile was nice on the entire batch but there was this sort of harsh aftertaste after every beer. It's been fading over time and this was one of the last bottles of the batch, but I'm not getting the aftertaste at all. Don't get me wrong, whatever was in this bottle ruined the mouthfeel as the carbonation never stopped from bottle to stomach, but the harshness was gone.

Anyone else have a similar experience with their "gushers"

Bamsdealer said:
Well, my 4th batch and I have my first gusher. I did detect some uneven carbonation on the IPA, but this was different. I popped it open and it slowly gushed out for some time. Funny thing is, the hop profile was nice on the entire batch but there was this sort of harsh aftertaste after every beer. It's been fading over time and this was one of the last bottles of the batch, but I'm not getting the aftertaste at all. Don't get me wrong, whatever was in this bottle ruined the mouthfeel as the carbonation never stopped from bottle to stomach, but the harshness was gone.

Anyone else have a similar experience with their "gushers"

My last two batches gushed slowly when room temp.After refrigerated over night a bit of foam in bottle.Higher than normal carb but no bad taste or smell.I'm putting it off on siphon hose/racking cane/bottleing spigot.I'm going to replace or bleach all of it.

Yeah... I just tossed the bottle. Maybe I didn't get it completely clean when I bottled last, but I could just tell this wasn't an overcarb issue. You're right though... I got no bad taste or smell.

I had two batches get gusher infection from an infected tube. Both took a while to carb up and both were absolutely fantastic for s short while before the infection set in. Bummer they were ruined. Learned to not be cheap and use tubes that aren't food grade.

I just bought a 20 ft roll of tubing from Lowes. It was in with the plumbing stuff, so I'm guessing its food grade.

Where did your tubing come from?

Back