What Color to Bottle In?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickjam

Reaction score
I am fermenting a Chardonnay and I am finding bottles to bottle in soon. I was wondering, when I buy Chardonnay it normally comes in clear or slightly colored glass. Do I need to find bottles with the same characteristics? Does the color of the bottle add flavor to the wine or take away flavor?

Thank you.

NICK

I am not a wine person but :

The colour of the bottle would not add flavour.
I think that red wine comes in brown bottles to help protect the wine against light. Red wine has a lot more tannins and these should be protected against the light.

White wine comes in clear bottles so you can see it.

again, I really know nothing about wine except in drinking it.

Whites don't have the problem being sun bleached like the darker colored wines. As the color darkens usually so do the bottles. I put a Chardonnay in clear bottles if I haven't added anything to give some amber coloring. Not so much for any other reason but to show its clarity and body. There is nothing wrong with a white wine in a dark bottle. If you have darker amber hues or getting toward the honey colors then I would put it in darker bottles as the light could effect color and then as the color bleaches it could have an impact on flavor.

Remember the presentation in the bottle will be the first impression. I spend a bit of time on a label and usually have the green or amber bottles depending on what it is. Blue bottles however are usually frost wines.

Thank you. I know that a clear bottle in beers is done on purpose to give it that skunk flavor. Wanted to make sure that a few of my whites could go into darker bottles (a few short on clear ones).

Thank you everyone!

Back