Tips

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wesparker

Reaction score
Hi
I'm a complete beginner to the home brewing world. I want to brew Ales, is there any tips or suggestions I need to know before I start my first batch tomorrow?

+1
I'd even say wait a couple of days before you brew, and read at least the first third of the book (that deals with extract brewing) first. You can brew completely without - just follow the directions that come with your kit (I'm assuming your first batch is a kit), and you will make decent beer. But since you asked..

Brilliant. Cheers guys, will give it a read and probably get it started over the weekend.
Will let you know the results or problems should any arise

^^^^^^^^

Look up at the top of the forum there is a sticky about beginner extract how to..

Also, I just want to mention, it would most definitely be worth your while to buy the most recent edition of How to Brew. The online is the first edition, the current print is third I believe. It's worth every penny - mine looks like its 20 years old.

The biggest thing is having everything ready to go before you start. I just did my second batch yesterday and it took half as long because I had everything ready to go. Another big thing I found was my gravity was way off because I was worried about getting too much sludge in my fermenter so I left more in the pot than I should have. From what I have learned from others, pour it all in, cloudy and clear wort. Leave as much of the solids behind as you can, but take the cloudy liquid. It will all settle out to the bottom and your beer will be fine.

Back