Bucket priming?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taterbug

Reaction score
Hi. I Have a Dunkelweizen almost ready to bottle and was wondering,can I just add the priming solution to the bottling bucket(with a spigot),and rack the beer to it,then seal it up,and carbonate it in the bucket without going through the bottling/capping process? Any answer would be appreciated. Thanks.

the head space is different, so the amount of sugar would probably be also. and i'm not sure about the lid staying on under pressure. sounds like cool idea though, if it would work. maybe someone else has tried this?

Have fun refrigerating the bucket.

I say in an ultra neato, lalala, ideal happy-fun-time world that yes, it could be done.

But here we are in reality-ville and your first issue is going to be in that simple sounding phrase, "then seal it up".

There's been some research on the actual PSI generated inside a bottle that is carbonating. It gets quite high before it dissolves back into the liquid and even then it really needs lowered temps to do it right.

If the top didn't fly off the bucket would split at the seams is my guess.

[can i] rack the beer to it,then seal it up,and carbonate it in the bucket without going through the bottling/capping process?

yes you can do that, if you replace the word 'bucket' with 'cornelius keg.'

those bad boys are rated up to 150psi (IIRC), bottling buckets not so much...my guess is that the pressure would pop the lid off your bucket, all that co2 that your yeasties worked so hard to create will escape, and you'll be left with uncarbonated oxidized beer

yeah man that's what kegs are for, there's no way the bucket could hang, even if it did hold the pressure how would you dispense the beer

Back