Accidental sour advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peedabber

Reaction score
Here is my scenario. I set out to brew 10 gallons of a low gravity Belgian ale dubbed patersbier. I kegged 5 of it after a month and started drinking what turned out to be a very tart almost sour version of what I had brewed. Disappointing. A couple weeks later, a film with bubbles formed over the remaining 5 gal. in the secondary. I was using the Trappist from wyeast so... Anyway I've racked back into a 6.5 gallon carboy and added blackberry purée to change it up and go with the flow. I'm going to age it like a lambic. What I'm most worried about is oxidization and having my beer turn to vinegar. Any advice? Should I rack back into a smaller vessel to cut down headspace? With the pellicle gone, should I maybe induce some co2 periodically? Thanks for any help!

That makes sense. A good excuse to by more kegs! I initially thought I'd by another carboy but a keg would be money better spent.

One other question. Will the fruit pulp ever settle to bottom or does it pretty much float the whole time? Thinking of when it comes time to push the beer of off the fruit to another keg.

Latest posts

Back