Multiple dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acoma

Reaction score
I'd like to try multiple dry hopping but had some questions.

If using carboys would you have to rack from one to another when introducing the next hop and discarding the previous or is there a better way to remove the previous hop sack?

I hear ~5 days is a good amount of time to get a good extract from the hops. Any differing opinions/results?

Is weighing down the hop bag recommended? If so, what do you use?

If anyone has done multiple dry hops with carboys and has any tips or suggestions that would be most appreciated. Thanks.

I dry hop in the primary...if I want two dry hoppings I do the first about 10 days before kegging, then the next about 5 days before kegging. No transfer needed.

I haven't read the article but I think there was a posting in Zymurgy about Pliny the Younger getting multiple dry hop infusions. The way I understood it was Vinnie will pull the "older" and replace with new.

The issue for us as homebrewers is what you mentioned how do you do this in a carboy. My only solution I could think of was to use an Ale Pail.

I haven't read the article but I think there was a posting in Zymurgy about Pliny the Younger getting multiple dry hop infusions. The way I understood it was Vinnie will pull the "older" and replace with new.

The issue for us as homebrewers is what you mentioned how do you do this in a carboy. My only solution I could think of was to use an Ale Pail.

Thats exactly what I'm talking about. I heard the interview on the Brewing Network that Vinnie did at Google and he talked about multiple dry hopping. I was just trying to think of a way I could do it with carboys. I'm guessing the only way would be to rack it into another carboy at the next hop. Seems like a PITA.

Back