Recipe Work up help - Kopi Luwak Cappuccino Cream Stout – partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurch

Reaction score
Recipe Work up help - Kopi Luwak Cappuccino Cream Stout – partial mash

I have reciently tasted some wonderfull coffe beers and wanted to create something on my own.

I took a Sam Adams Cream Stout clone recipe and tweeked it

• 10oz Crystal 60L malt
• .5lb Chocolate malt
• 2.5lb 2-row malt
• 6oz black barley malt
• 1lb wheat LME (liquid malt extract)
• 4lb amber LME
• 1lb lactose
• .75oz Golding hops, .5oz Glacier hops (60 min)
• .25oz Golding hops (15 min)
• Wyeast London ESB 1968 yeast

You will notice I substituted the 1 lb of maltodextrin for 1 lb lactose to turn it from a cream stout to a milk stout. I will use then 3 oz Kopi Luwak coffee (added to secondary) to finish off the beer

any suggestions would be appreciated

Kopi luwak (Indonesian [ˈkopi ˈlu.ak]), or civet coffee, is coffee made from the beans of coffee berries which have been eaten by the Asian Palm Civet (Paradoxurus hermaphroditus) and other related civets, then passed through its digestive tract.

YUM...

I'm no expert on stouts but I'm not sure how much of a difference you'll taste subbing malto for lactose. Both will give a sweet taste as they aren't fermentable sugars.

Kopi luwak is the most expensive coffee in the world, selling for between US $100 and $600 per pound.[1] The specialty Vietnamese weasel coffee, which is made by collecting coffee beans eaten by wild civets, is sold at $6600 per kilogram ($3000 per pound).

This is going to be an expensive recipe..

Lurch must be getting the more common Kopi Luwak that is processed, packaged, and sold by that 60 year old Indonesian man named Civet Achanse.

Kopi luwak is the most expensive coffee in the world, selling for between US $100 and $600 per pound.[1] The specialty Vietnamese weasel coffee, which is made by collecting coffee beans eaten by wild civets, is sold at $6600 per kilogram ($3000 per pound).

This is going to be an expensive recipe..

Im no stranger to expensive brews as I made the DFH Midas Touch that one came in at 140 to brew.

As for this one I will only need 50.00 worth of the coffee, so this one all total should still be a tad cheeper then that last extreme brew.

As the for the base components I used Beer tools recipe calculator projected OG comes in at 1.070 and TG comes in at 1.023 So its going to be a tad sweet.

I am toying at changing the yeast componet to a stronger yeast to increase the APV from an expected 6.3 to maybee 8.0 (any suggestions a stronger strain) Im looking at Wyeast 1335 British Ale II is can attenuate to 10%

Right now your looking at about 6%. I don't know if I would go much higher than 6 for a stout. You can probably add some candi sugar or corn sugar if your just looking for a bit higher alchohol content.

This is just for novelty's sake to be able to say "this has Kopi Luwak in it, right? I have a hard time believing that with that little of it in a stout, you'll really be able to tell the difference between that and say a nice Jamaican Blue Mountain... if it's just about having awesome coffee in it, there are cheaper awesome coffees. Of course, if it's about "this has the worlds most expensive coffee in it, I get that too... and would do it if I could. :)

This is just for novelty's sake to be able to say "this has Kopi Luwak in it, right? I have a hard time believing that with that little of it in a stout, you'll really be able to tell the difference between that and say a nice Jamaican Blue Mountain... if it's just about having awesome coffee in it, there are cheaper awesome coffees. Of course, if it's about "this has the worlds most expensive coffee in it, I get that too... and would do it if I could. :)

I would have to say yes, your assumption its correct its all about bragging rights. Be the first one to brew a beer with the most expensive coffee in the world. Now thats Bragging rights...:rockin:

Back