Ball valve question - Little Giant Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twang

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a 1 tier setup with 2 kettles and converted cooler. I will be using 1 pump and quick disconnects to transfer the liquids. After reading through the forum I am leaning towards purchasing a Little Giant 3-MD-HC pump for my setup. This pump has a 3/4" intake and 1/2" discharge.

My question:
What size hoses/ball valves/connections should I use on each vessel? All 3/4 inch and put a 1/2" to 3/4" adapter on the pump discharge?

I was thinking about this too. Then I found:
http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Prod/...6-power-cord-(578603)/57399/Cat/1006?RefID=CJ which has 1/2" intake/outtake

and you can pretty much follow https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/March_Pump
for what to connect where.

(I have not actually bought this pump yet, but plan on doing so soon)

If you're going to get the 3-MD-MT-HC then you might as well just get a March or Chugger pump, the 3-MD-HC is 1/12HP, the MT-HC is 1/25HP.

I'm doing just the opposite, I've seen many on here do the same.

I thought I read somewhere that it is better to restrict the outflow and not the inflow... any truth to this?

Also, if you use all 1/2" hoses and fittings, will that decrease the pumps performance vs. using all 3/4"?

Yes, you can restrict the outlet, not the intake. I essentially did what you describe but with triclovers. My intake is a full 1" and my output is ~7/8". The 3-MD-HC can handle the higher volume and so you can go a little bigger with the output. I'm not sure 1/2" tubing is going to decrease its performance, as the output IS 1/2".....but with such a high flow rate you would definitely do better with bigger tubing.

Yes, you can restrict the outlet, not the intake. I essentially did what you describe but with triclovers. My intake is a full 1" and my output is ~7/8". The 3-MD-HC can handle the higher volume and so you can go a little bigger with the output. I'm not sure 1/2" tubing is going to decrease its performance, as the output IS 1/2".....but with such a high flow rate you would definitely do better with bigger tubing.

So you have a 3/4" to 1" adapter on the pump intake and a 1/2" to 7/8" adapter on the pump output?

Kinda. I have a 3/4" MPT x 1.5" Triclover screwed into the intake. That is then clamped to a 1" Barb x 1.5" Triclover. Then 1" PEX is slid over that barb.

On the outlet, it's a 1/2" FPT x 1.5" Triclover married up with a 3/4" Barb x 1.5" Triclover.

1" Triclover pipe has an ID of ~7/8"; 1.5" Triclover pipe has an ID of ~1.3".

Confusing, I know :D Just understand that my pipes are bigger than the pump is designed for, and the flow rate should make up for it.

I have the TE-5.5-MD-HC and this has 1" inlet and 3/4" outlet. I plan to step it down to take 1/2" input and 1/2" output with the valve on the outlet side, as recommended. There is no point for me to try to do 3/4" or 1" inlet as I will be pumping through CFC or recirculating the mash and I can't work a hard-plumbed system into my current setup.

I have read of others doing this as well with similar pumps.

Kinda. I have a 3/4" MPT x 1.5" Triclover screwed into the intake. That is then clamped to a 1" Barb x 1.5" Triclover. Then 1" PEX is slid over that barb.

On the outlet, it's a 1/2" FPT x 1.5" Triclover married up with a 3/4" Barb x 1.5" Triclover.

1" Triclover pipe has an ID of ~7/8"; 1.5" Triclover pipe has an ID of ~1.3".

Confusing, I know :D Just understand that my pipes are bigger than the pump is designed for, and the flow rate should make up for it.

Can you get PEX for boiling temps? That sounds like a great option if available.

ok. Looks like I'm going to go all 1/2" w/ a 3/4" to 1/2" adapter on the pump intake. Anyone know where I can find this adapter? I remember reading something about not using metal threads on the pump because it could damage the pump threads and is costly to repair.

Can you get PEX for boiling temps? That sounds like a great option if available.

PEX isn't designed for full boiling temps, but it can handle around 200F. There are others here who use it. It's actually an experiment....braided silicon tubing (or any high temp food grade tubing) is VERY expensive in 1" and 3/4" sizes. Like $25 a foot........and you have to buy 10 feet!

Latest posts

Back