Building my brewery...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcbrewmeister

Reaction score
OK, so I now have four used kegs - all legal and legit like. 1 for my HLT, I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Rubbermaid 48qt cooler as my MLT with a cube setup for a recirc setup.

Couple ideas on that - I have been thinking of using a hot water heater element to heat water in the cube and circulating it through the MLT in a coil, but I'm not sure this will give me what I want - great for temp control, but does nothing for ciculating the wort.

choice #2 - same water heater element in the cube heating the water (on a thermostat) and circulate the wort though a coil in the cube. No direct heat hits the wort and the cube should keep the water at temp easy enough, and I get my temp control I want.

Second keg as kettle.

So the question is - use the other kegs as fermenters?

Comments on the rest of the system?

I should be able to brew 12.5 gallon batches right? = 2X 5 gallon cornies and some bottles for bottle conditioning (still like doing this, taste different than force carb does)

OK, so I now have four used kegs - all legal and legit like. 1 for my HLT, I'm pretty sure I'm going with the Rubbermaid 48qt cooler as my MLT with a cube setup for a recirc setup.

I'm in the same boat with the same questions as you ! I think I will use 1 for the boil kettle and the HLT and MLT will be coolers. HLT will use an electric heating element and be computer controlled. Sounds radical, but it isn't.

Couple ideas on that - I have been thinking of using a hot water heater element to heat water in the cube and circulating it through the MLT in a coil, but I'm not sure this will give me what I want - great for temp control, but does nothing for ciculating the wort.

Yeah, you need 2 pumps then if you want to recirc the wort. I thought of the same thing. I posted on this a couple times recently.

choice #2 - same water heater element in the cube heating the water (on a thermostat) and circulate the wort though a coil in the cube. No direct heat hits the wort and the cube should keep the water at temp easy enough, and I get my temp control I want.

Classic HERM system. It works, but its got a number of drawbacks. Slow step times. Mash out is fun because you'll heat the HLT water to 170 and yet you want the mash to be heated higher. You don't get much heat transfer with the mash and the HLT at the same temp.

Hint: put a stirrer in the HLT so that the water is constantly moving over the coil.

OR option #3: direct steam injection into the mash ! No coils to worry about, temp steps are very fast, its very efficient, etc. I'll be posting details shortly.

So the question is - use the other kegs as fermenters?

YES I am going to do the same thing with my virgin kegs !

http://users.adelphia.net/~aken75/Fermenter Lid/Fermenter Lid.html

I should be able to brew 12.5 gallon batches right? = 2X 5 gallon cornies and some bottles for bottle conditioning (still like doing this, taste different than force carb does)

I hope so because I want to do the same thing !

How about something along the lines of this?

sankeyfitting2jm1.jpg

I don't like for a fermentor because you can't get inside to clean it and you can't see the fermentation. But that is just me.

Sorry for commenting negatively, Orfy. I should have a more open mind to new ideas.

brewman ! said:
I don't like for a fermentor because you can't get inside to clean it and you can't see the fermentation. But that is just me.

Yeah I'm the same way, I like to watch it swirl around in the carboys. But if I plan on brewing 12.5gal. I would have to buy bigger carboys.

brewman ! said:

A friend of a friend welds stainless. So I'm going to have the top of a corny welded onto it for easier cleaning.

brewman ! You're fermentor lid is awesome! Wish I had a lathe to cut the top off, who do I know in a machine shop? Hummmm have to think on that one...

So the top is just clear acrylic, thats easy. I could use the screw part of a C-clamp, cut it off with the threads, weld it into a piece of stock hummmm ok that will work.

I'm gonna need more kegs.:ban: 'cuz conicals are just not in my budget yet.

FWIW - I get kegs for free from the brewery (don't ask) through a guy I work with who used to be a sales rep for them, I get them just before they scrap them, usually threads on the bung are, well, bunged up. Or, they get new ones and just take the oldest ones out of service. Works for me.

brewman ! You're fermentor lid is awesome! Wish I had a lathe to cut the top off, who do I know in a machine shop? Hummmm have to think on that one...

Gee thanks ! Errr... those aren't my pictures though ! *chuckle.

You don't need a lathe to make that fermentor. Cut the tops off with an ordinary angle grinder. As long as you get close to a clean circle the rubber seal will take up the variance.

So the top is just clear acrylic, thats easy. I could use the screw part of a C-clamp, cut it off with the threads, weld it into a piece of stock hummmm ok that will work.

Yes or just drill the "stock" and press in a Tee nut usually used in wood working. Say 3/8" ?

I'm gonna need more kegs. 'cuz conicals are just not in my budget yet.

Me neither, but boy do I hate racking !

FWIW - I get kegs for free from the brewery (don't ask) through a guy I work with who used to be a sales rep for them, I get them just before they scrap them, usually threads on the bung are, well, bunged up. Or, they get new ones and just take the oldest ones out of service. Works for me.

Man, I wonder if that ever happens here ? I'll have to do some calling !

brewman ! said:
Sorry for commenting negatively, Orfy. I should have a more open mind to new ideas.

Cleaning h'aint an issue if you have PBW. I recently "inherited" a tub of that stuff...works magic! I've had gunk caked on the inside of one of my racking tubes for weeks...this stuff took it right off, and they're clear again!

Back