Brewery Layout/ fermentation room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cold_Steel

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
Great news I got my 2 big new fermenters. Now I need to figure out how to build the right fermentation room.
2 Fermenters- 57" radius 67" Tall open fermenters with lids with glycol jackets
1 Fermenter 22.5" radius 67" tall

Now I would imagine I would need space to walk between the tanks so lets call it 24" (really should be 36" but I dont want to run out of space)

Size- 57"+57"+24"=12' for back/front wall
57"+22.5"= 7' Sides

Temp. control
I am going to place 2 ac wall units on the side walls on each side up mid way. (not higher than tanks)
Heat - Just a plug in heater
I need glycol unit but no funds for it yet.

What material do I use for the walls?
Is the ac units enough? Can I rewire the wall units to go lower than there settings. Are there wall units that will go to 40 degrees?
How do I control the temp during fermentation without glycol system?

041sm.jpg

Hey Guys!
Great news I got my 2 big new fermenters. Now I need to figure out how to build the right fermentation room.
2 Fermenters- 57" radius 67"

Temp. control
I am going to place 2 ac wall units on the side walls on each side up mid way. (not higher than tanks)
Heat - Just a plug in heater
I need glycol unit but no funds for it yet. Are there wall units that will go to 40 degrees?
How do I control the temp during fermentation without glycol system?

This must be 57" diameter not "57" raduis" that would be 9.5 foot in diameter or a app 2,000 gallon fermenter each deducting 27" for the conical bottom plus some 200 gallons of head space above.

Look into those free standing deep freeze coolers as well the regular coolers that are made of aluminum covered foam panels like you see in big stores like Costco. They are just giant kits with the refrigeration units mounted on top. I've been involved with the electerical end of these walk-ins. Many of them built when Safeway did their major store remodels back in the late 80's, they would be set at -24*F .

How to cool the internal heat created during fermentation process by air cooling alone I bet you would never get the BTU's generated deep inside the fermenter removed, you'll need a liquid cooling system aka glycol to remove this large amount of heat energy generated. Your electrical utility company will also enjoy your rather large electric bills be it glycol or large AC units. JMO's.

Latest posts

Back