best Nashville beer scene?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
Had a friend recently move to Nashville. Looking to help him find the best places to get great beer in a nice environment. Google turns up a bunch of brewpubs.

So, what's the word? Best watering holes with the best selection, best beer, best environment?

Thanks for any input.

Best selection hands down is the Flying Saucer, 200 beers! Very good food also.
Big River Grille (brew pub) has excellent food and solid beer, it's one of the few places that honors an AHA membership. I'll let the locals take it from here.:mug:

Best selection hands down is the Flying Saucer, 200 beers! Very good food also.
Big River Grille (brew pub) has excellent food and solid beer, it's one of the few places that honors an AHA membership. I'll let the locals take it from here.:mug:

I'll second that !

Pat

+1 for flying saucer. Been there a couple times when i've been up around nashville and i was very impressed.

+1 to the saucer! My plate is on the wall. Working on my plate in Fort Worth now!

Monday Night is Pint Night (cheap pints)
Wednesday is Glass Night (Buy the beer, keep the glass)

Is Blackstones still around? That was Dave Miller's place. When I used to go there for business I would stay across the street from there because it was closer to the recording studios and I would go there nightly.

I lived in Nashville a few years ago and Blackstones is very good. Flying Saucer is the epitome of great beer selection, but it can be pretty noisy and crowded on the weekends (depending on what you consider a "nice environment"). There is one here in Houston, and I always go there when trying to decide what to brew next due to the massive selection.

Blackstones has good beer that is brewed on site and is quieter. The Flying Saucer has an incredible selection, but will be more crowded.

Also, be sure to drink Yazoo! beers when you get a chance. That's a great local brewery. Most local bars will have their beers on tap.

PS. I have a couple blackstone growlers that are very handy to have. Great for making starters or for taking keg beer to a tailgate.

My favorite place to hang out when I'm back home is 12 South Taproom ( http://www.12southtaproom.com/ ). It's a smaller place, but they usually have pretty good beers on tap and every time I stop in they always have something new. It's sort of a neighborhood hangout type place. Great, laid back environment and they sometimes have pretty decent music, plus I can walk home from there.

The Saucer is excellent from a beer selection point-of-view, but it gets way too crowded for my tastes. If I'm going out with friends to have a good time it's decent enough as it's a festive atmosphere, but if I want to chill and have a few beers I'll got to 12 South.

The Saucer is as far in to downtown as I'd go. It gets too touristy the further down Broadway you go, though I'm a little biased to Midcity/Belmont as it's where I grew up and call home.

Also, Yazoo is building a new brewery and taproom. Their old taproom was kind of small, but I think their new one should be a good bit larger.

Flying saucer is my place of choice, but Blackstone is great, Big River has GREAT food and GOOD beers, Also Yazoo brewery is downtown and they are about to move to a bigger brewery with a beer garden..etc. The Beer Cellar has some good selections as well.

Battle Grounds brewery just opened in franklin (just 15 minutes south of downtown nashville) and is a very cool place to check out.

I live around the nashville area so any questions just hit me up :)

There is also Broadway Brewhouse (go to the Midtown location, do NOT go to the one downtown). That's my "local" place. Yazoo is ok, but I taste a lot of recipe variation - so things aren't that consistent.

Bosco's and Blackstone are pretty good too, but both have excellent food.

Big River tastes like they pulled water straight from the Cumberland to brew. Yech.

Bosoco's has a great vibe but I thought the beer at Blackstone's was better. The funny thing with Blackstone's food was that the vegetable they served at the time was asparagus, that was it. I liked their pizza.

I thought your name looks familiar. I sold you that Thule roof rack a few years ago. I'm not on there anymore, too much butting of heads to people on there, and I decided it would be best to just leave.

Flying saucer is my place of choice, but Blackstone is great, Big River has GREAT food and GOOD beers, Also Yazoo brewery is downtown and they are about to move to a bigger brewery with a beer garden..etc. The Beer Cellar has some good selections as well.

Battle Grounds brewery just opened in franklin (just 15 minutes south of downtown nashville) and is a very cool place to check out.

I live around the nashville area so any questions just hit me up :)

Where is the battle ground brewery? Do you go into franklin itself?

The flying saucer is a great place to hang out. I still always head to Yazoo sometime Thurs- Sat. I really like the beer and the scene. Have met some really cool people just hanging out there.

It's downtown in the old jail on Bridge St. Interestingly, a good friend from high school lived in that jail before it was turned in to a brewery. We use to partake in some illicit activity and joke that the cops wouldn't have to take us very far if we got caught.

http://battlegroundbrewery.com/

The owners of the place have big plans and are working to get their brewery setup there (right now they are having someone brew their beer for them using their recipes). they also are talking about building a micro-distillery and a pizzeria in the adjacent lots

Back