Is it SAFE to eat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I have some filets that i bought last friday, seven days old in the fridge. Just never got back to them. For a 25 year old male in good health, what is the risk if i cook the "snot" out of these things and eating them? Discoloration but only the slightest off smell....

If you cook the snot out of some fine beef filets, I will beat you.

Cook the outside to a burnt, inside a nice pink.

It won't hurt you, wee 25 year old that you are.

Beef tenderloin. Don't get to buy steak very ofter so don't want to waist them. I have them cooking with some bacon as we speak. still havent decided if i'm going eat em or not tho :drunk:

Oh beef? You'll be just fine, they hang up in a fridge for at least two weeks before you get then, a lot of people like to age them (at around fridge temps) for a lot longer than that.

If they didn't smell funky then they are fine. And don't you dare cook the snot out of them. Anything at all more than medium and you need to be castrated.

Well i will let you guys know in a few hours, i did go to a med well vs my regular med-rare. just to make myself feel a bit better about it. did destroy the steaks though. First time i've had a filet above med. Turns out its just like tuna steaks. rarer the better. i just really didn't want to risk getting sick

Let the beating commence!

Whole muscle meats can age for quite some time. And even if there is some contamination, from improper handling, for example, it will be on the surface rather than the interior of the meat. A quick sear will take care of that.

Pretty much all of the bacteria is on the outside so aslong and that got a decent char anything over med-rare was unnecessary .

Since you threw in that bit about tuna.....you know....rarer the better.....I will let you off. No beating.

Next time......

DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE FILETS IN THE FRIDGE ARSE HOLE!!!!

Oh, for the love of Pete! I shop the meat clearance rack. The browner the better IMO!!!! Never got sick, ever! I like to freeze them first, then grill. Sear the outside & Rare in the middle.

What was the sell date on them ? Meat can stay in the fridge a good long time now if you said it was on the counter for 2 days then chuck it. I had to throw out two prime grade cuts of beef that SWMBO took out of the fridge in the basement and place them on the top and forgot about them stunk like a dead raccoons ass

Rinse the filets in water and dry completely with paper towels. heavily salt and pepper the both sides after drying. Fry on high heat, only until each side is crispy. The inside should still be very pink and they should taste great. Fry standalone, or in butter, as you prefer.

Once you try a bite, you will know if they are spoiled or not.

Rinse the filets in water and dry completely with paper towels. heavily salt and pepper the both sides after drying. Fry on high heat, only until each side is crispy. The inside should still be very pink and they should taste great. Fry standalone, or in butter, as you prefer.

Once you try a bite, you will know if they are spoiled or not.

Um...he already ate them...

I hate to be the one to stand up and preach on public safety, but whole steak is one thing. Do NOT cook ground burger extra rare. The difference is that the machinery to cut the steak only touches the OUTSIDE of the meat, while a grinder mixes any possible contamination right down deep into the burger, where the heat won't touch it.

That said, I still do prefer my burgers a bit pink...

It should also be noted that when beef is aged for a long time, they generally cut off all the outer parts.

Back