Flying blind, please critique my recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Berlbrew

Reaction score
I'm doing it. All grain. It's happening.

But I'm still learning how to develop AG recipes. I may start out with EdWort's Haus Pale but I still want help creating my own recipe.

I want to do a hopped-up red, inspired by Stone Levitation. Here's what I got, tell me what you think:

11 lbs. 2-row
1 lb. Crystal 90
1 lb. Special B
1/4 lb. Flaked barley?
3/4-1 oz. Warrior or Centennial @ 60 min
3 oz. Crystal @ 5 min
1 oz. Chinook for dry hop

Mash at 154, pitch WLP051

Not to be a ******, but I would recommend using a proven recipe on your first ag. You know it will turn out well if you do it right. Then you can concentrate on your processes and get them down. I did 15 batches before I even considered tinkering with or creating a recipe.

...on a rocket cycle?!?!!

Sorry. The best investment I would suggest for anyone going all-grain and looking to create their own recipes would be to buy software. I use brewsmith and it's been essential for fine-tuning recipes and getting an idea of SG, SRM, IBU, and all those other cool acronyms.

Also, a quick search points out that BYO posted 6 Stone clone recipes in the 12/08 issue.

...on a rocket cycle?!?!!

Sorry. The best investment I would suggest for anyone going all-grain and looking to create their own recipes would be to buy software. I use brewsmith and it's been essential for fine-tuning recipes and getting an idea of SG, SRM, IBU, and all those other cool acronyms.

Also, a quick search points out that BYO posted 6 Stone clone recipes in the 12/08 issue.

Yea, I think I'm gonna go for the software, it seems extremely valuable. I searched long and hard for a Levitation clone recipe and yielded very little. That issue of BYO does not include Levitation, just some other good stuff. One guy managed to get someone from Stone to e-mail him the grain bill so that's sort of where I started.

Eddcculus - thanks for the suggestion!

holy crap - a pound of Special B will be crazy. Can you say plum sauce? Spec B is like a fine brandy - use in moderation. Reduce to 4-6 oz.

And I would give the beer a decent bittering with all that 90L crystal in there. At least 1 oz of a 10%+ AA hop.

Back