Reusing yeast question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

size

Reaction score
Northern Brewer Forums said:
When you are racking your beer from the primary fermentor to the secondary, is the time that you should be collecting the yeast. It’s easy to do it. Just sanitize a quart jar and lid, sanitize the neck of the primary fermentor, and pour from the fermentor into the jar.

all right, quick question. so i rack off from the primary ---> secondary, taking precautions not to suck up any trub, and then pour what's left over into a jar?

i guess my question is where you draw the line between 'trub' and 'reusable yeast'? does that trub harbor yeast within it? and storing methods aside, will the yeast only be good for a similar style of beer?

edit: also i'd just like to rant about how pissed i am at myself for buying a goose island reserve 4-pack for $12, completely forgetting i have a cold and can't taste a damn thing.

gah, i looked for it, i swear. then i typed it into google and got the NBH forums.

sorry for a repeat thread :x

and thanks a bunch, rsmith.

Back