How homebrewing has affected real life.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richabt

Reaction score
I was in my office break room and made a cup of tea. After dipping the tea bag I squeezed it, then I got concerned that I may have added additional tannins to my cup.

I'm sure stuff like this happens to others as well. :cross:

On the way to work yesterday I heard a commercial that went something like " This Christmas don't forget the poor." For some reason I heard " This Christmas don't forget the pour."

I was in my office break room and made a cup of tea. After dipping the tea bag I squeezed it, then I got concerned that I may have added additional tannins to my cup.

I'm sure stuff like this happens to others as well. :cross:

If you drink tea, you should have known squeezing the bag was bad BEFORE you started brewing. :D

As I walk around the office, I notice different furniture and equipment that might be appropriate to build a brew stand/equipment out of.

I was growing up a bunch of cultures today at work...wait, what?

DSC01624.JPG

There's a lab at my med school with about 20 stirplate/heatplates that NEVER get used...I am always eyeing them, oh the temptation. They also have a ton of unused erlenmeyer flasks too....what a waste. Laboratories in academia are full of brewing things. Their cup runneth over.
-Jefe-

I precisely measure my coffee grounds each morning and monitor the grind to ensure it has exactly the same OG every morning. If not, I get pissed and pour it out and call it a bad batch.

Not really, I use starsan for other sanitation. For a while I would look at objects everywhere and see how they could be used for brewing.

(Before I started kegging) I used to eye empty brown bottles everywhere I went. :)

(Before I started kegging) I used to eye empty brown bottles everywhere I went. :)

I do that as well. We went out for sushi the other night and the only beer the place had was 22oz. bottles of Sapporo. They were going through them left and right. I would have loved to grab a few cases of those bottles but was too embarrassed to ask.

My coworkers bring in delicious homemade food for me ever since I started giving them a bottle of homebrew every once in a while :D

A buddy of mine tends bar and his boss was super enthusiastic about me recycling his bottles.

My contribution: When I take a shower, I crank the heat up at the end for a few seconds to get one last scalding hot wave of awesome. I am unable to think of this as anything other than a human mashout step.

Also I work at a big drug company, and if it went out of business, a brewer would have no problem setting up shop. We have gigantic step up bioreactors (conical fermenters), clean rooms for media prep and culture propogation (think wort and yeast)....not to mention lab equipment...oh the possibilities.

Every day I walk by this trash can at work that's right outside the bathroom.

IMG_0267.jpg

Look like anything familiar to you folks as well?

I am constantly checking inventory at work at all of our North American locations looking for ingredients.

At our location, the only thing useful is: rice hulls, calcium carbonate, Bentonite, Epsom Salt, and Calcium Chloride. Too bad I haven't delved into water chemistry yet.

Oh, could I use Dried Molasses for anything?

Im always going to home depot / lowes or im going to peoples house and looking through their stuff wandering how I can use it to brew.. or if i can ferment it

For anyone else my age, the topic of this thread reminds me a lot of the days of Tony Hawk Pro Skater. We would play for hours and hours and hours in college. Everywhere I went, I was like, "I would grind that rail, bust a jump to that ledge, etc." Anyone else in that boat? I'm 30.

Molasses is an excellent growth medium for starters. Many companies than sell gluten-free yeast use molasses. I do not recommend drinking the decanted fluid though.

I'm with you Doc, I used to play the demo for hours before the game was released.

I eye the water cooler at work, looking for that elusive #1 container. If nothing else, its just another carboy to keep Apfelwein in!

If you drink tea, you should have known squeezing the bag was bad BEFORE you started brewing. :D

but tea-bagging is always allowed.. as long as it is a hot female.

as to the beer fountain: BYO had a picture of one someone made. it seems to waste beer though. im not able to consume all the water, so how can beer not escape me?

I use oxyclean and pbw on a ton of random cleaning jobs.

I've flushed out Tupperware with co2 before packing leftovers.

swmbo laughs when wait staff makes beer reccomendations

I started the office coffee this morning. A guy walked in and was about to tap some...I told him to wait until the brew was done because "the first runnings would be too strong."

For anyone else my age, the topic of this thread reminds me a lot of the days of Tony Hawk Pro Skater. We would play for hours and hours and hours in college. Everywhere I went, I was like, "I would grind that rail, bust a jump to that ledge, etc." Anyone else in that boat? I'm 30.

:off: Hell yeah! Between Tony Hawk, Tiger Woods Golf, and Grand Tourismo many hours were consumed!

At home, I'm constantly talking with my brewing buddies about what we're going to brew next, what supplies we need to order, etc... moreso than I talk to SWMBO.

Good thing she's a sport and is into brewing just as much as I am!

I started the office coffee this morning. A guy walked in and was about to tap some...I told him to wait until the brew was done because "the first runnings would be too strong."

I imagine a non-brewer would call that 'pouring' instead of 'tapping'... :mug:

Back