How to fix a OverPitched batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveT

Reaction score
does anyone have some input on how to fix a over pitched batch?

I brewed a new castle clone a few weeks ago and I got impatient and pitched a 11g packet of nottinghamn on top of a WL pitchable tube. the FG is 1.010. Smell and tasting quite yeasty

I don't think you overpitched, people often make HUGE starters and do just fine. Consider the huge amount of yeast always present in the bottom of the fermenter after you rack a batch out - you didn't pitch anywhere NEAR that much.

And +1 to using a secondary to let it settle out. How long has it been in primary? It may have a lot of settling left to do even in primary if it's just barely finished fermenting.

Time, that's all it takes. Not that the batch was over-pitched. I've pitched on yeast cakes that probably contained 100 times as much yeast as a packet without problems.

It's virtually impossible to overpitch as a homebrewer, unless maybe you pitch a fairly small beer on a whole cake. The yeasty flavor is almost certainly just because the yeast hasn't settled out yet. As others have said - paitence, grasshopper!

over-pitching shouldn't be a problem until you exceed 4 times the needed amount. the 11g dry yeast was all you needed. The starter might have been enough alone (though it sounds like it was not, or lag'd, or was dead)...so at most you have 200% of what you need...only halfway to the 'problem level'.

i bet its fine after secondary.

I should of added some info when I posted but was half in the bag :cross:

The batch was in secondary for 2 weeks and now in the keg for a week dry hopping , I just tested it and the dry hopping in the keg has helped some but still has a yeast smell and taste, not much droped out within that 2 weeks time. I was thinking of pulling it back out of the fridge and adding some corn sugar and letting it condtion on it's own hoping to kill off some of the yeast smell/flavor.
more input please

You can also use a clarifier such as super clear, chitosan, etc. It will help drop some of the yeast out. Don't prime it, your basically giving the yeast more food if you do that. I don't think you overpitched, but I do think it is the dry yeast thats giving you the flavor.

It's virtually impossible to overpitch as a homebrewer,

I agree with the statement by the bird. Commercial brewers have pitch rates of between 5 - 10 million cells per milliliter. There are about 20,000 ml in a 5 gallon batch of beer so you would need to add more than 200,000,000,000 (200 billion if my math is correct) to exceed the commercial target and that is still not over pitching.

Dr Malt;)

Well if it's not over pitched, still being real yeasty, is the problem that I used the wrong yeast for it? I used nottinghamn and the batch was a MW New Castle clone. (OldCastle) I shall rename it "Ye Old YEast Castle"! I dont have any gelatin or any other clairafiers. So I will have to wait for those. It is barley drinkable how it is. Hopefully it will come around, if not I guess I have a lesson learned.

Back