Losing beer after fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BakerBrewing

Reaction score
I have been brewing a decently high gravity IPA for the past few months. I have brewed this beer in both a extract and all-grain as a process. Typically I brew a 5 gallon batch. I like the use of a Safale - US 5 dry yeast packet for this beer ( I use two packets) I found a get a better final gravity once complete. My main sticking point is I lose about 1/2 a gallon after the primary fermentation. I have a few questions as I really can't find a good answer else where.

1. Is this normal? - my thought is that it is.
2. Will adding a 1/2 gallon of water before pitching effect the final product?
3. Should I be using a air lock or blow off tube?

Any suggestions would be very helpful as this is expensive beer to brew, but I love having it on tap.

My main sticking point is I lose about 1/2 a gallon after the primary fermentation.

What do you mean? Where is it going? Blow off? Loss to hops between the kettle and fermenter? Trub losses from primary to secondary?

That is the whole thing I am confused on why I lose so much. I simply pitch the yeast and let it sit for 10 ten days. Once I transfer to my carboy I notice I have a significant loss of beer. My yeast cake is typically large and I am wondering if that is where I lose it. So if I do lose in the trub is there any way to save?

1) Yes, to trub losses, hop absorption, etc.
2) Yes, it will affect the final product. It will dilute the gravity. Gravity x (5 gallons / 5.5 gallons) = new gravity. To maintain the same gravity, increase your ingredients by 5.5/5, or 10%
3) Yes. If fermentation blows a bunch of stuff out of your fermentor, blowoff. Otherwise, airlock.

EDIT: Response to post #3: Longer time in primary will compact the yeast cake some, but hops also absorb a lot if you're dry hopping. Most people just plan on the loss and adjust accordingly.

You might need to drink less hydrometer samples?

1. In all seriousness, it's probably just getting absorbed in the trub. This is totally normal.

2. It's fine to add half a gallon of water before pitching, but this will dilute your beer. You might want to adjust the recipe accordingly, calling it a 5.5 gallon batch in your brewing software.

3. If you're using a blow off tube, you might be losing a bit of beer through that. You should consider a larger fermenter if this is the case. Otherwise an airlock is just fine.

TyTanium, This may be a stupid question but to adjust would I adjust my grain bill to account for the loss? Just wondering how people adjust accordingly.

Alright I think that sound simple enough. Adjusting the recipe from a 5 gallon to 5.5 gallon should do the trick. Thanks everyone.

I always brew six gallon batches. 6 in the kettle, 5.5 to the fermenter and 5 into my cornies.

This way you account for break, trub, yeast and racking losses

I always brew six gallon batches. 6 in the kettle, 5.5 to the fermenter and 5 into my cornies.

That's exactly what I do.

6.5 (or 7 if Pils malt) gallons into kettle.
5.75 gallons after boil.
5.5 gallons into fermenter.
5 gallons in my belly!

same here, easiest way to get 5 full gallons after fermentation

bribo179 said:
i always brew six gallon batches. 6 in the kettle, 5.5 to the fermenter and 5 into my cornies.

+1

Back