John Palmer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't own the book, but based on the number of threads that get referenced over to his online version, I would say its a pretty solid choice.

Seriously, read him and Papazian. This will give you a good foundation and you will have good reference material for when you need to double check something. I break out my Palmer almost every time i brew.

The book will answer questions you haven't thought of yet.

Edit: I don't quite get the "what's the BEST book?" approach, which is a question often asked. What's wrong with multiple information streams? I think I've read 5 or 6 brewing books, and I'd really hate to have to narrow it down to one. I learned something from each of them. I'm sure I'll be reading more too.

Seriously, read him and Papazian. This will give you a good foundation and you will have good reference material for when you need to double check something. I break out my Palmer almost every time i brew.

I've read and reread Palmer a dozen times. It's one of the best books out there, and successfully blends beginner instruction with advanced techniques, science, and the "why/how" of brewing, rather than just a recitation of steps.

I will say that, if you read Palmer a few times (do it... you will not absorb everything you need to on the first read), going to Papazian's book will seem like a step backward.

How to brew is on my shelf and is easily the one I go back to repeatedly. I am also a big fan of "Yeast" by Jamil Z and Chris White. Since yeast is an incredibly huge component of making beer I find this book very worthwhile.

John Palmer best guide for a beginner or over rated ??

I've never heard anyone describe the book as over-rated. Until he writes a new version or somebody comes up with a better book it is the best general info homebrew book out there. Do yourself a favor and buy it. Then I second louie0202's advice, read it. By giving yourself a general background of knowledge and understanding about brewing your beer will improve. :mug:

I've read and reread Palmer a dozen times. It's one of the best books out there, and successfully blends beginner instruction with advanced techniques, science, and the "why/how" of brewing, rather than just a recitation of steps.

I will say that, if you read Palmer a few times (do it... you will not absorb everything you need to on the first read), going to Papazian's book will seem like a step backward.

I have both and i read them in that order, Palmer then Papazian and you're right it does seem a bit of a step back. However i did glean some useful info from it so not a loss.

When i need to reference something i grab my Palmer.

One of the things that always stuck in my mind was, You can ask 12 guys the same question and get 12 different answers and chances are that they will all be right.

There is no end all be all in home-brew, that's why they are reference books.

Get your feet wet with Papazian and then dive into Palmer..... That just sounds wrong...

How long have you been brewing ?? And any pointers or tips ?

I'm a newbie, and the best resource I've found is HERE.

Seriously, this forum is crazy. Every possible idea has been talked about. The search feature here is a goldmine of information. Search for ANYTHING beer related, and you'll find several threads talking about it. Spend as much time as you can reading threads, following links to other threads, and searching interesting concepts you run across and you'll soon have a TON of knowledge under your belt.

Speaking from experience, I've only owned and read Palmer's book. Two months later first time ever brewing went straight to all grain. Been brewing beers for only a few months and tasters are falling over themselves to sample. :D OK well the last part was some what exaggerated. :mug:

I wouldn't quite call it a cult following, but John has a scientific approach to brewing. He attempts to help the brewer understand what is actually happening during the brewing process. He explains everything well and even if you just skim and pick out the high points, you will find yourself refering back to this publication often to answer those nagging questions you wil undoubtedly have.

Unless I am mistaken there is the online version of "How to Brew" and an updated book containing more up to date ideas.

I have read of several procedures that Palmer initially favored but has over the years had changed the procedure or opinion. I can't recall which, already too many homebrews today. :p

Unless I am mistaken there is the online version of "How to Brew" and an updated book containing more up to date ideas.

I have read of several procedures that Palmer initially favored but has over the years had changed the procedure or opinion. I can't recall which, already too many homebrews today. :p

There is...

http://www.howtobrew.com/

I have it on my Kindle as well as a paperback version.

Palmer's book is the real deal, so is HBT. There is so much knowledge, help, and humor here, it's amazing. And like evrose said "the search feature here is a gold mine of information".
Just finished a glass of one of my latest brews, Moravian Amber Ale from AHS, as I was typing I was admiring the pretty lacing left on the empty glass, beautiful! And the beer was delish:mug:

How to Brew is a great intro book. I have a few other 'intro' books, but in my opinion HtB is the best because along with being thorough, it is the easiest to read. Definetly not overrated.

How to Brew for me. All other brewing books I've just checked out from the library and don't see the need to have a copy on hand like I do Palmer's book. The online version is nice, but I enjoy flipping through the pages.

If you are going to read How To Brew be careful of the online version. It is outdated and has some bad information that makes brewing sound more difficult than it really is. Make sure you get an updated version to read.

Justintoxicated said:
I didn't realize there was a kindle version :( I just bought the paperback.

Don't worry, you'll want to make notes in the margins! And if you slop some wort on your kindle.....

+1 for Charlie, then Palmer. I think it's also worth owning Brewing Classic Styles -- Once you get a feel for the process of brewing, it's helpful to look at some really good recipes and see how beers are put together. This is one of the real strengths for Joy of Homebrewing as well.

Also, there's a ton of good knowledge on places such as this, Brewing Network, Brewing TV. Not books, but immensely helpful.

How to Brew is a great intro book, with some opportunity to wade into deeper waters. What amazes me is that he could write that book and not follow it up. Oh, sure, there's his "co-authoring" "Brewing Classic Styles", but that's really Jamil's book with John's support. I'd really like to see Palmer sink his teeth into another book, because, as I said, his first is a GREAT book.

Question: will he be a one-hit wonder?

How to Brew is a great intro book, with some opportunity to wade into deeper waters. What amazes me is that he could write that book and not follow it up. Oh, sure, there's his "co-authoring" "Brewing Classic Styles", but that's really Jamil's book with John's support. I'd really like to see Palmer sink his teeth into another book, because, as I said, his first is a GREAT book.

Question: will he be a one-hit wonder?

I think he's working on a book about water chemistry. Seriously.

I have both, started with Charlie's book. Palmer's is much better. Like others I go back to it frequently to answer questions I may have.

The one source that has probably helped me out the most is the Brew Strong mp3/podcasts. They can be found on the brewingnetwork.com

Good luck

Chris

Palmer's book on water is coming out in 2013. He mentioned it on a recent episode of Brewstrong.

But Charlie's book is so entertaining. I love reading it, even though many of the processes are old-school and outdated. Such a fun read.

Back