Stepping it up a notch!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Head413

Reaction score
Hi all. I need to come here more often, I've been away/lurking for to long.

I've been homebrewing for something like 7 years and, the past few years I've been busy. Aside from the children, becoming an EMT and brewing, I've been planning. Last June I took the American Brewers Guild Intensive Brewing Science and Engineering program to take my skill set further. Now I'm looking to open my own microbrewery up here in Copper Harbor. Its my DIY project.

I've started the state licence process and am now just waiting to hear back from the state that the application has been accepted and the investigation has started. Woo-hoo:(. Fun, but I've nothing to hide so ok.

We've got the building lined up and have already gotten in there to get the cleaning started, I'll get some pictures up you can see whats happening. Thankfully the building is way better set up for what we need then I had originally feared. It used to be a gas station/deli, so floor drains, 200v, walk in cooler, and gas already in and good.

Its a waiting game now. But if you want to see me flail around and possibly help check this out.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/107022014/brickside-brewery-copper-harbors-first-microbrewer

Its not my only means of funding, but its a great idea. Within the next few weeks we'll be getting equipment ordered and hunted down and all the other little things that go into this beast.

I'm still amazed I've done it and have gone through with this. From a plastic bucket and some DME to letting it ride on a dream!

PROST!!!

I'm looking forward to another local brewery! Maybe I'll stop in and say hello next time I'm up in the Harbor. Sounds like you're looking to open this fall, is that correct? How is progress? On track? I hope everything comes together and works out for you!

Good luck, and cheers!
TB

Still waiting to hear back from the state, but its only been a week. Everything else is chugging along fine. Except for my nerves, every hurdle we approach I have a moment and need to calm down:cross:.

The really optimistic view is late fall, in reality anytime from then till next June. I'm hoping late fall early winter.

I need to go grab some pictures of the inside of what will be the brewery the next time I'm in there cleaning.

I'll keep yall posted.

Don't mean to be a Debbie downed but mass soliciting investors as you are doing may violate SEC regs. You might be exempt under reg D but it is worth looking into. Talk to your attorney

Don't mean to be a Debbie downed but mass soliciting investors as you are doing may violate SEC regs. You might be exempt under reg D but it is worth looking into. Talk to your attorney

Doesn't look like he is seeking investors but rather donations, and you get a few trinkets back but no stock in the company.

Seriously, kickstarter has been around long enough if this were going to be an issue someone would have gotten bitten by it already.

I know Kickstarter is going to add some complications to the license process, but since their not getting any stock or interest in the company that's not an issue. It falls under " Goodwill" or money that does not have to be paid back.

What is going to be fun is if during the investigation portion, which is mainly the state checking to be sure I'm no being funded by terrorist, criminals or the like. I've talked with the state and they're not against it, but its new territory and I'll probably need to lawyer up for that part.

I thank you for the head's up. But I've spent a few years planning this monster out, there are easier ways to do things, but that's not the point. I know at any point all hell can come down and multiple things are liable to get me sued, bankrupt, or jailed. But I'm doing it. Barring all else I'm having a go at it so I'll never have that moment of regret later in life.

I heard something about PBR and people trying to buy it and getting nailed for doing it wrong, oops. I'll frankly say that the business end is where I'm personally weakest, but I have a great adviser on hand.

I can't wait to get past all the red tape and brewing. COME ON postman, bring me a letter!

I just saw this and have thought about using Kickstarter in this exact way. Please keep us up to date on the goings-on, I'd love to know how well it works out.

So the Kickstarter project finished out at just under 22k!! Now its wait for all the amounts to be processed, information gotten, rewards bought, packaged, and delivered. But, that is a few weeks off.

For now, this Thursday we have a dumpster showing up so we can really get in there and clean out the building. I'll nab a contractor friends so I can get a list of materials needed for the limited modifications that need to be done.

Still waiting to hear back from the state, but then it was a short holiday week and I have no illusions of that being a speedy process.

Soon I'll be starting to purchase equipment and starting the Federal TTB paperwork. Oh and I need to make more beer, we drank up most of what I had at the Kickstarter is finished party we threw on Saturaday.

I'll let you all know as I get more information.:ban:

Is there a step-by-step guide to all the paperwork that needs to be filled out to do this somewhere or is it something that every brewer learns on his own?

Is there a step-by-step guide to all the paperwork that needs to be filled out to do this somewhere or is it something that every brewer learns on his own?

Yes, if you could list out the process as you understand it that would be awesome. I have done digging seeing as I have an interest in the same thing you're doing, but gathering the paperwork/applications and making sense of it is daunting.

Thanks!

Dude this is amazing! You're doing what most of us dream of doing. Best of luck!

For your own state's LCC you'll need to check their website for the relevant papework. Or call a brewery that has recently opened, they are usually happy to lend a hand and point you in the right direction.

For the Federal stuff http://www.ttb.gov/industry-startup/beer/beer-startup.shtml
Its a very nice laid out easy site.

Either level of paperwork can be done by mere humans, no lawyers needed. As I've seen it you start the state level stuff and then you do the federal, as the state will not issue you a license until they hear back from the TTB. I'm at the cusp of the second part of the state process, the investigation.

I hope that helps, there are a bunch of other things you need to do before you even get to the license stage, but I'll save that unless you want to hear it.

Nothing new to post really, just waiting for the gears of gov'ment to turn a bit. I should be hearing soon from the TTB. If all still sings along, I'm looking at license in my hands around early October.

I'll be having another tasting on September 3, in the planned brewery site, all very informal, and free like.

Wow. Its amazing how long the government can take, but I have survived. This morning I received conformation from the TTB that my application has been approved and is in the mail!:ban:

So once that reaches the State LCC I'll be issued my license. Then its remodel a bit, setup equipment, clear the Dept. of Agriculture and open. Easy:cross:.

So now things get rolling! Stay tuned, next week it I get busy.

Wow. Its amazing how long the government can take, but I have survived. This morning I received conformation from the TTB that my application has been approved and is in the mail!:ban:

So once that reaches the State LCC I'll be issued my license. Then its remodel a bit, setup equipment, clear the Dept. of Agriculture and open. Easy:cross:.

So now things get rolling! Stay tuned, next week it I get busy.

Congrats on being one step closer! :mug:

I still haven't been able to make it to any of your beer tastings. Sounds like it won't be too long until I can buy a pint in your brewery.

TB

sweet! it seems like these threads usually just die down, thanks for keeping us posted!

So this Tuesday I close with the bank. :ban: Then Wednesday I'll be putting in my equipment orders, getting the contractor in and starting work on the building. This has been so long coming I'm still in a state of disbelief.

Pics SOOOOOON!!!!

Still no pictures, sorry.

Plumbing and HVAC work will start with the new year. I placed my order with Portland Kettle Works for the bulk of my brewing setup. That will be finalized and started by the end of the week.

Happy Holidays yall!

Jason

A bit has been done since I last posted. I have been approved by the state!:ban: Just need to get the place finished, inspected, and a few minor pieces of paper work and I'll be licensed. That is still looking to be at least another month or so away.

We figure to be selling brews by late April early May.:tank:

And here are some pictures of progress. A little behind as some of the dry wall is now up and the plumbers are in cutting trenches in the floor for the brewhouse trench drain and the bar sink drain. What a mess right now.

IMG_1795_stitch.jpg

IMG_1810_stitch.jpg

This picture is taken later as the electrician had been in and the lights now operated as we needed and off of actual switches. Previously you had to turn them on/off via the breaker panel. OI VEY!

IMG_1806.jpg

I've ordered all the taps and faucets for the wall that will go where you see my daughter standing in the cooler. The bar will be right in front of that. On the left side of the second photo you can see the three bin bar sink standing where it will be located.

More coming as things happen. Stay tuned:D

Oh I'm brewing this weekend. Just not at the scale I will be:D. I'm making a run one more time through the starting line up at home. My Pale may have to change as Citra is going to be tough to get this year, but I have enough left for what I need now.

So Pale this weekend, IPA next, Heffe and then the Chocolate porter. I made a Stout back in Dec to clear out the old grains, but I didn't have the yeast on hand that I will be using. Its good, just not what I want to sell to the public. I need to stop drinking it all though. I need something to bribe workers with:cross:

Long stretch between posts. So update time. I should of had the majority of my equipment in already but a manufacturing snafu delayed things. Should have it by the end of this month.

I have gotten all the random bits, half of the kegs I need, bottler, and my four smaller fermentors arrive tomorrow morning.

Progress pics! I'll get more tonight as more has been done.

OK here's a pic of the bar top. The internet is sucking balls tonight.

IMG_2001.jpg

Ok I owe you a bunch of pictures. Or I you don't want to wait just look up our facebook page, not the profile, but the page. Look for Brickside Brewery. I've got a few of our finished labels up on there. Our Fine Day Pale label just got approved yesterday.:ban:

Back