Yeast Over Flow

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arog3000

Reaction score
My beer is overflowing through the airlock. I watch the top and everything is just flowing right out and up through. If I add more water it just shoots the water right through. I have a 6 gallon glass carboy. Once it stops going crazy I was going to add water and let it go but I am worried that right now because some air could possibly get in if it will ruin the beer. When I watch the tube into the airlock however everything is just going up and out of the carboy. I am going to try and install a blow off tube for next time but I am wondering if I can just let it keep going crazy and then add water to the airlock once it calms down. Please advise. Thanks!!!

Yes, you don't have to worry about infection now, with all the CO2 blowing out. But, you do have to worry about the airlock getting blocked up with krausen and the CO2 pressure building up. I would sanitize a piece of foil, remove the airlock and just loosely lay the foil over the opening, so that the krausen can continue to blowoff without fear of a blockage.

Thanks!!! Did the foil over night and it worked great. I switched it back to the airlock this morning and now it is working normal again. Still going pretty strong. Can't wait to drink it.

Back