Use of tea and lemon or lime juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowingbrewer

Reaction score
I was wondering if some one could tell me the pros and cons of using a few tea bags and or lemon and lime juice when making mead. I know the tea adds tannins and the lemon and lime would raise the acidity but what doe they do for the flavor in the finished mead? Has anyone made the same recipe leaving out one of these ingredients for one batch and using it in another to see the difference?

Thanks in advance

Well if you want a "citrussy" sort of flavour to it, then crack on.....

I don't add acid routinely during the making, only after the ferment has finished and it's added to taste.

I've also found that I concur with Ashton & Duncan, in their "Making Mead" book and use a mix of 2 parts malic to 1 part tartaric.

Tea/Tea bags, are usually the suggested replacement, if you don't have any wine tannin available.

They don't all get a "citrussy" flavor.

No, indeed not, but it's one of the reasons why I don't use citric acid or citrus fruit unless it's a specific ingredient. "Citrussy" flavour is relative and I try to avoid the possible acidic hint that might remind the drinker of lemons or other citrus fruit in most of my meads.

Hence the above suggestion......

regards

fatbloke

Latest posts

Back