Huge F-UP please help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellfire

Reaction score
Just realized I never added my dry malt- 3 lbs....just added my liquid malt..Boil has 12min left...any way to salvage this?

add it now. nothing wrong with a late DME addition. boil an extra 15 min and you'll be good

Add it and boil longer. Maybe add in half a gallon of water to compensate for the increased boil time

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Yep, just did yourself a favor actually! Later extract additions will get your color a bit closer to what you want! Search "late extract addition" here and do it on purpose next time! :)

read my thread, "still hope for your first batch" haha this was one of my many mistakes.

you should be fine.

Whoa....what a mess....this was my third batch- Portland Haystack Porter. I had previously done a blonde, and a Summer ale. Both of those had LME. This was my first recipe with DME. Ther was some LME with this too. I had too much going on, steeping, cleaning, sanitizing, boiling, etc...my fault for sure.

I had everything on schedule except I never added the DME, added at the end, saved the last hop add until the appropriate time-10min....had a boil over as well, after adding the DME, I put the lid on to speed up the boil:(...boil over. Didn't have enough ice, took about 40min to cool to 75... Pitched a Wyeast Activator, put the lid on. I know it wants to be beer....OG was really close, or right on... I put the sanitized hydrometer in the bucket. Foam made it tough to get an exact reading. Note to self.....:eek:

What an excitingng afternoon.....it will still be beer....but will it be good beer?

Do you like hops? The beer will be more hoppy now.

I love hops....this was supposed to be a Porter so it may not taste as it should, but I love beer...and I love hops:). The first hop add was at 60min....so it boiled for about 70....the next hop add was at 10min....I added that on time after the DME.

With less DME during the boil there is better hop utilization. It will be an excellent hoppy porter. If you give it a try and it is too hoppy just condition the beer for a few months until it mellows out.

What an excitingng afternoon.....it will still be beer....but will it be good beer?

In my little experience it takes more effort to make bad beer than good beer.

I had the power go out with 10 minues left in the boil while making a dunkel weisse. Still had one hop addition so I threw it in and started cooling it. A little sweeter but still very good.

With less DME during the boil there is better hop utilization. It will be an excellent hoppy porter. If you give it a try and it is too hoppy just condition the beer for a few months until it mellows out.

Thank you. It may suit my palate to a tee.....who knows? I love a deep porter-Anchor Porter is good....but i do love a light hop note as well.....maybe this mistake will work in my favor...?

The amount of DME during the boil has been found to be a non-issue. Adding extracts at the end of the boil does not harm hop utilization. Adding at the end does improve flavor and color due to less caramelization. Extracts do not need to be boiled since they have already been boiled and DMS driven off. Extracts simply need to be sanitized which can be done with a short boil. One may go so far as to add DME at flameout and let the kettle sit for 15 minutes since the temp of the wort will remain above pasteurization temp of 170* for quite some time.

Length of the boil and volume of water effect utilization. DME at 60 minutes or end of boil does not change how hops are isomerized into the wort.

I respectfully disagree. Do a search on hop utilization. A beer will be more hoppy if the DME is added late.

I respectively disagree. Do a search on hop utilization. A beer will be more hoppy if the DME is added late.
Still much debate about this subject. Even John Palmer talks about both sides of this issue.

This post references the latest I've read/heard including John Palmer's apologizing for getting it wrong. Also references a Basic Brewing Radio experiment on the subject and some other information.

Debate continues.

And so it does! :mug: Did I really right "respectively?" I meant respectfully.

Anyway, In beer alchemy I can check fermentables for "late addition" and the hop amount will decrease to accomodate.

Looks like BeerSmith changes the profile IBU. It's up to the brewer to adjust the hops amount.

Came home today to an airlock filled with wort and spilling out onto the lid. This batch- only my third:eek: has been a lot of work:) Added the DME late, which sounds like it may not be a big deal....glad I found it before I started cooling..LOL, had my first boilover- big mess, and came home to a wort filled airlock that had spilled out all over the lid of the bucket. No big deal really but much more "drama" than my first two batches. I learned a lot though. Thanks for all the help y'all.

Nevermind...I didn't see that this thread had 3 pages before I posted, thinking it would end up on the first page...

Back