0-10 Brix ATC Refractometer for FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigscience

Reaction score
So I already have a 0-32 Brix ATC refractometer that I just love. It works great for checking higher gravities during the mash, pre and post boil and even into fermentation (with adjustments of course). The only issue I have is that when I start to get near final gravity, I start to try to split hairs. Is that a 7.1 or a 7.2? What I was thinking of doing is getting another one only with a 0-10 Brix range. Has anyone used one of these?

I just love the speed and convenience of a refractometer. I have sterile, single use pipettes so I take a reading everyday and can chart out my fermentations.

I use a 0-32 refractometer, but I have a finishing hydrometer for taking FG. I agree, I like the convienience as well. I've just never used a 0-10 Brix, the finishing hydro fills that niche for me.

So since nobody really said yeah or neah on a 0-10 Refractometer, I just decided to pick one up. I paid $26.99 + $8.50 S&H on ebay and received it 2 days later. http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310193106627

After calibration of the new unit, I re-caled the 0-32 and compared a IPA.

Here is a view of the 0-32% Brix
4299908198_49d7e4aa23_b.jpg

Here is a view of the 0-10%
4299908470_be70c89c40_b.jpg

While the images may not do it justice, I think a 0-10% Refractometer is worth it. It's easier to read at the lower levels and see tale end of a fermentation. A FG hydrometer may still be worth it for a true end reading once everything is done however.

wow, I like the 0-10 brix. I use a 0-32 for pre/post boil and FG and it can get a little hard to read exactly sometimes. I use the morebeer spreadsheet for converting FG brix to SG. I tested it several times against a hydrometer and it always matches.

I don't know...to me, one or two tenths of a brix point doesn't really matter in the whole sceme of things. Then again, I'm not brewing to compete. I'm brewing for the beer.

wow, I like the 0-10 brix. I use a 0-32 for pre/post boil and FG and it can get a little hard to read exactly sometimes. I use the morebeer spreadsheet for converting FG brix to SG. I tested it several times against a hydrometer and it always matches.

I use a modded out version of their spreadsheet too. I added alcohol calcs and some graphs to view the fermentation. I'll take a daily reading to see how things progress. I'm glad they did the upfront work.

I don't know...to me, one or two tenths of a brix point doesn't really matter in the whole scheme of things. Then again, I'm not brewing to compete. I'm brewing for the beer.

Actually, at the beginning a difference of 0.2 Brix is about 0.9 points in terms of gravity so it may not be that big a deal but when you get to the end of a fermentation, when you really want to know if you're done, an a 0.2 is more like 1.3. If I was dropping that much in a day (at the end), I let it keep going. Without the precision of the instruments, we're just guessing.

Still, I know there are people who haven't used a hydrometer in years, those who go with a bubbles/minute approach or those who go by what the back of the can says and still end up with beer. For me, this is just one more area to have control over in the whole process.

Back