Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bird - did you take an OG on yours? I forgot and could take a thief at it now but if you measured I'd assume the same for mine.

beer35 said:
I gotta try that! Does it taste anything like Brentzens Apfel Korn?

Just that they're both apple flavored. They're pretty much two different animals though. Isn't Apfel Korn a liqueur or Schnapps type drink? I love getting shots of that at our local Oktoberfest.

beer35 said:
I gotta try that! Does it taste anything like Brentzens Apfel Korn?

Nope.
Apfelkorn is a sweet apple flavored liqueur made from 100% wheat spirit, and blended with apples. It was invented in Germany in the 1970s.

The Apfelwein recipe ferments out dry, tart, crisp and when carbonated and chilled is very refreshing.

Hi Ed,

Is Apfelwein the same as Apfelmost? My grandfather in Austria used to make Apfelmost and have been looking for a recipe since they don't have email yet in the hereafter. My father THINKS he just used apple juice and spontaneous fermentation, but he is not sure.

Cheers.

BrewStef

BrewStef said:
Hi Ed,

Is Apfelwein the same as Apfelmost? My grandfather in Austria used to make Apfelmost and have been looking for a recipe since they don't have email yet in the hereafter. My father THINKS he just used apple juice and spontaneous fermentation, but he is not sure.

Cheers.

BrewStef

Apfelmost is basically fresh pressed Apple Juice or cider somestimes called Süßmost. If they let it just sit, the natural yeast sitting on the skins would begin the fermentation to make Hard Cider.

Apfelwein is simply fresh filtered juice and wine yeast. I add the sugar to boost the alcohol content.

EdWort said:
Apfelmost is basically fresh pressed Apple Juice or cider somestimes called Süßmost. If they let it just sit, the natural yeast sitting on the skins would begin the fermentation to make Hard Cider.

Apfelwein is simply fresh filtered juice and wine yeast. I add the sugar to boost the alcohol content.

Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I am going to make some of yours...spontaneous fermentation does not really appeal to a control freak like me.

Cheers :tank:

BrewStef

I started reading this thread yesterday and today I have two, not one!, But two 5 gallon (better bottles too Ed!) of pure unadulterated apfelwein in my fridge. I wanted to see the difference in the yeast type. I used the Montrachet in one and Nottingham dry ale yeast in the other. I am really excited to see how they compare.

Thanks again Ed!

:mug: Prost!

smg8041 said:
I started reading this thread yesterday and today I have two, not one!, But two 5 gallon (better bottles too Ed!) of pure unadulterated apfelwein in my fridge. I wanted to see the difference in the yeast type. I used the Montrachet in one and Nottingham dry ale yeast in the other. I am really excited to see how they compare.

Great! I'd be interested in how the Nottingham turns out too.

My Apfelwein ferments at room temperature which is about 75 degrees. I don't refrigerate it till I keg it and connect CO2.

I'm using Nottingham, as well. I haven't checked since bringing it down there, but I suspect I'm fermenting at around 65 or so in the basement (and getting more chilly by the day). Good action so far, it seems like it might be giving off a little bit of the sulphrous odor that I know is not uncommon for ciders and related beverages.

My Apfelwein ferments at room temperature which is about 75 degrees. I don't refrigerate it till I keg it and connect CO2.
Today 01:00 AM

I should have asked about that. I am going to take that one out of the fridge and just leave the nottingham in there. I believe Bird should have his before me. This stuff should be great on those snowboarding trips to lake tahoe! Warm up those cold bones!:ban:

the_bird said:
Good action so far, it seems like it might be giving off a little bit of the sulphrous odor that I know is not uncommon for ciders and related beverages.

Actions will be good for a week or so. You'll notice the yeast begin to drop around the 3rd week, but tiny bubbles will still be rising on the sides.

The sulphorous oder is normal and subsides in a day or two.

My Apfelwein has reached the carbonated perfection after a week at 10 lbs. PSI. Time to do some drinking!

Now that is what I call alcohol production! There is sooooo much gas coming out that these things look like they are going to blow the airlock off. 8.5%? I believe it! The nottingham seems to be a little more vigorous but both going STRONG! I do detect the sulfur smell, not too bad. I will let you know how things come out!

Cheers Ed!

What is the difference between this and an Apple wine? Seems like the same thing except some of you are carbing it.

Apfelwein translates to Apple Wine. Normally it is around 6% abv for the commercial stuff you can buy in the Frankfurt area (Possmanns). I add the Dextrose to get the extra kick.

EdWort said:
Apfelwein translates to Apple Wine. Normally it is around 6% abv for the commercial stuff you can buy in the Frankfurt area (Possmanns). I add the Dextrose to get the extra kick.

Thanks Ed, I can't wait to give this a shot, as soon as my IPA is finished I'll be putting this in the carboy. Do you just let this ferment till it is clear or are you taking readings to know when it is finished? It looks like you let it in the carboy for 4 weeks then keg right?

Todd said:
Thanks Ed, I can't wait to give this a shot, as soon as my IPA is finished I'll be putting this in the carboy. Do you just let this ferment till it is clear or are you taking readings to know when it is finished? It looks like you let it in the carboy for 4 weeks then keg right?

I let it sit in a carboy for at least 4 weeks. It's pretty clear by 4 weeks. The bottle on the left still has some tiny bubbles coming up the sides and it's been about 4.5 weeks on that batch. Since I have a fresh keg on tap, I'll let it be till I get back in town at the end of next week and then I'll keg it.

I need to get a chilling freezer just for keeping kegs cold and carbed!

I bought some Dextrose, Montrachet yeast and a 6.5 gal. better bottle yesterday at our local HBS. I thought I needed the 6.5 for this so I guess I'll do a 6 gal batch. Bob, the LHBS owner says in order for this to finish sweet, I should have a SG of 1.090 - 1.095. I bought enough Dextrose to boost the SG up to those levels (others here were talking of using lactose for sweeting), I don't know what I'm doing-but I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Thanks Ed.

So, I went to the High Rolls Apple Festival yesterday to pick up some fresh cider. Lo and behold, they had a ton of it by the gallon jug. Sweet! Then I learned that they put preservatives in it. Bummer. Guess I won't be making that batch of cider after all. TreeTop, here I come.

dumb question, but how do you pronounce Apfelwein?

I'm thinking Ap - like in apple
fel - like fell
wein - like wine?

Todd said:
Ed, could you post a pic of that apple juice you use. I went to costco and all I could find was Mott's. :(

Obviously I haven't tasted it yet, but I just used an el-cheapo apple juice from the grocery store, but an el-cheapo all-natural juice. Ingredients are just water and apple juice concentrate. It's pasteurized, but there are no other preservatives in it. It's fermenting out nicely, seems to be right on track.

I think "w" in german is pronounced "v", so I'd say you're right except that "wein" is pronounced "vine".

I read it like this: ap-fel-vine
(but I'm far from german or anywhere near fluent in the language).

the_bird said:
Obviously I haven't tasted it yet, but I just used an el-cheapo apple juice from the grocery store, but an el-cheapo all-natural juice. Ingredients are just water and apple juice concentrate. It's pasteurized, but there are no other preservatives in it. It's fermenting out nicely, seems to be right on track.

Hey Bird, what size batch did you make, and did it all fit? I bought a 6 gal. better bottle and couldn't fit all 6 gallons in. I don't think it matters, I'm just wondering what the measurement on these better bottles refers to. I filled it to the bottom of the neck and had probably 1/2 a quart left. Maybe that 2Lbs. of dextrose really takes up some room.

Well, I did this in a spare 3 gallon carboy I had kicking around. I did a 2.5 gallon batch, adding 1 lb of brown sugar. No problems.

I'm curious, have people had real active fermentations with this? I thought I heard that cider really was prone to blow-offs, but I've had no issues at all. It's fermented good, but not overly aggressive. It's also fermented a lot longer than any beers I've done, it was still doing a bubble every couple seconds a week after I put it together. No krausen (sp?).

I haven't turned the heat on in our house yet, so mine is fermenting at about 66 degrees (I used the montrachet yeast). Fermentation is slow and I have what looks like a slight krausen forming at the base of the neck.

Mine was burping once a second at it's peak. Smelled a bit rank (sulphur) for 2-3 days and now is mellowed out. No big ferment. Probably burping once every 5 seconds now 9 days in.

[QUOTEEd, could you post a pic of that apple juice you use. I went to costco and all I could find was Mott's. ][/QUOTE]
4137-Apfelwien001.jpg

And here is the Nottingham batch. There's not much room left on the top!
4137-Apfelwien004.jpg

You got a lot more krausen (or whatever you'd call it with apple juice) than I. Probably the nottingham I guess.

smg8041 said:
4137-Apfelwien001.jpg

And here is the Nottingham batch. There's not much room left on the top!
4137-Apfelwien004.jpg

Thanks, I wonder why ours does not carry it. Can I ask how much it is a gallon at yours? Mott's has asorbic acid which is a preservative right??

Todd said:
Thanks, I wonder why ours does not carry it. Can I ask how much it is a gallon at yours? Mott's has asorbic acid which is a preservative right??

I paid $5.89 for a 2 gl pack. Sams Club for me.

I can not remeber what I paid for the two packs, I think like $5.89 would sound about right. Try to call the other cosco's and see if they carry it.

desertBrew said:
You got a lot more krausen (or whatever you'd call it with apple juice) than I. Probably the nottingham I guess.

I was starting to get a little woried but it has satyed where it is for the past two days. There was no Krausen(or whatever) until about three days ago. The Sulfer smell has subsided too. Thankfully! I have another 5gal batch with the wine yeast in the closet. That has some sulfer smell and no Krausen. It should be interesting to see how they compare when done.

Will ascorbic acid prevent the yeast from growing? Every type of apple juice I've found contains it.

Alright, I found a couple posts that say this will not hurt, can anyone confirm for me before I go buy it?

Todd said:
Will ascorbic acid prevent the yeast from growing? Every type of apple juice I've found contains it.

Alright, I found a couple posts that say this will not hurt, can anyone confirm for me before I go buy it?

I know that you want to avoid preservatives, those will kill the yeast. I would try to find some that is pastuerized, then you will know for sure that you are safe.

I hope that helps some.

Back