Other sanitizers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGH

Reaction score
I usually use Starsan but since I moved I do not have any. I cant get it now except for by mail order. What alternate home made no rinse or easy to use sanitizers would anybody suggest? I have been spoiled by Starsan but I am willing to use something else.

Iodophor....Iodine based.

Many of us get it bulk through Tractor Supply Company. I use 1.5tbs/5 gallons as opposed to the 1tbs/5 gallons of LHBS iodophor.

2209723.jpg

http://www.tractorsupply.com/livest...und-care/dionne-gentle-iodine-1-1-gal-2209723

I usually use Starsan but since I moved I do not have any. I cant get it now except for by mail order. What alternate home made no rinse or easy to use sanitizers would anybody suggest? I have been spoiled by Starsan but I am willing to use something else.

Order it by mail or stop brewing!! Yup it's that good. Seriously, one medium sized container will last over a year easily, why not just order?

Iodophor....Iodine based.

Many of us get it bulk through Tractor Supply Company. I use 1.5tbs/5 gallons as opposed to the 1tbs/5 gallons of LHBS iodophor.

thanks for posting that. I was getting at the lhbs and been paying $16/liter, then went mailorder for 1/2 that price, this is even better!

i'll probably get sucked into buying a welder while i'm there for the brutus build....

Revvy-

What do you use after the iodophor? Star san or another non rinse type sanitizer? Or just rinse the iodophor out really well?

Thanks

Revvy-

What do you use after the iodophor? Star san or another non rinse type sanitizer? Or just rinse the iodophor out really well?

Thanks

Iodophor is a no-rinse sanitizer.

The only big difference between the tsc stuff and BTF's iodophor is that Btf's product has an anti foaming agent, whereas if you add water to the dionne it will foam up a bit, not as much as starsan but still pretty impressive. If you stir it into your amount of water though it won't foam.

I put a lot of good info, tips, and even the links to some podcasts on using sanitizers like iodophor effectively. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

One of the guys in my brew club was out and needed sanitizer in a hurry. He found a no rinse sanitizer at Smart and Final and he's never looked back. If I recall, it's an acid-based no-rinse sanitizer that was about 1/2 the price of Star San. Star San goes such a long way that I don't think price is that big of a deal, but the ease of getting it from S&F is pretty nice.

Order it by mail or stop brewing!! Yup it's that good. Seriously, one medium sized container will last over a year easily, why not just order?

Well I know that its that good. and I could tell you that the absence of StarSan would not keep me from brewing... I just moved to Germany and the shipping cost/possible shipping liquids restriction is the only thing keeping me from ordering it. I went through a 32 ounce bottle in 6 months when I was back in the states. I brewed around 160 gallons in that time frame. I will have to check out and see if I can find some of that idophor out here now. my point is that I have not tried anything else, and if I can get away with not paying $17 dollars extra in shipping or if I have to deal with not having it at all, I am on a search for an alternative. Thanks for the reply guys!!:rockin: HBT for the WIN!!!

Iodophor is a no-rinse sanitizer.

The only big difference between the tsc stuff and BTF's iodophor is that Btf's product has an anti foaming agent, whereas if you add water to the dionne it will foam up a bit, not as much as starsan but still pretty impressive. If you stir it into your amount of water though it won't foam.

I put a lot of good info, tips, and even the links to some podcasts on using sanitizers like iodophor effectively. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/

Sorry I didnt find that earlier. Revvy do you brew professionally? I dont see why you are giving out all the trade secrets for free. I didnt say I am not grateful... You are like the encyclopedia beertanica... OVER 17,000 quality posts and counting!! I have never seen you put a post up to just get numbers... I can imagine that isnt true for every poster on this thread... if the shoe fits wear it...

Sorry I didnt find that earlier. Revvy do you brew professionally? I dont see why you are giving out all the trade secrets for free. I didnt say I am not grateful... You are like the encyclopedia beertanica... OVER 17,000 quality posts and counting!! I have never seen you put a post up to just get numbers... I can imagine that isnt true for every poster on this thread... if the shoe fits wear it...

Vell, Revvy's just zis guy, you know?

Actually about 15 years ago my brother and I were going to open a microbrewery together so I did a lot of learning...but he died around that time and I went through a life shift and became a minister and stuff.

I actually got into homebrewing a few years back and all that info came crashing back..plus I've been a beersnob since I turned 21 right when micros and brewpubs started popping up in the 80's.

But now, homebrewing, like cooking is something I love WAAAAY too much to ever do it for a living. :D

I just hate to see folks stressing out about something that is supposed to be a hobby....and also see a lot of crappy info out there. so I just try to help when I can.

Revvy once had a 15 gallon yield in a 20 liter kettle... (let the Revvy/chuck norris jokes unfold)

Oh cool, I'm becomming iconic. Awesome. :mug:

This is nothing new. Deodorized mineral spirits and lighter fluid are the same thing. But painters purchased the mineral spirits in larger quantities and received better pricing than than the weekend chef using the charcoal grill.

Back