StarSan question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyfan964

Reaction score
I've never used StarSan before... about to try it for the first time. I know that when I see all that foam left in my carboys it will kill me to dump my batch in there. I just need a little bit of reassuring that it truly is a no rinse product and a bunch of foam won't ruin my beer. Thanks. :drunk:

You're fine, don't fear the foam. I always have foam in my carboys/kegs when beer is transferred, it makes me feel sage.

The foam makes a fine yeast nutrient. Not only will it not hurt anything, it will actually help.

I love Star San, no rinse, and just a few minutes of contact is all you need. Just think of it as a nice fluffy bed just waiting for your beer...you will absolutely, positively, not ruin your beer. Feel better?

I've mixed up star san and drank some, on purpose.

star san has almost no flavor...just a little twangy...more of a mouthfeel/astringency from the acidity than a 'flavor'.

i've never detected this in any of my beers or meads, or my wine.

Just don't get undiluted star san on your formica countertops :)

I had to get over fear of the foam when I made the switch to Star San from bleach. Never looked back, you can do it, too. The foam is actually your friend, because it's what helps the SS coat all the surfaces it's sanitizing.

Back