using gelatin...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Can someone give me a quick break down on using gelatin...I am using it in my secondary...I have seen different measurements for it too...I am using the homebrew store bought stuff...not grocery store gelatin. How much water do I use to dissolve the gelatin? Thanks

I used the grocery store knox gelatin, I just disolved 1/2 packet to 1 full packet in about a cup of water, really you just need enough water so it disolves, then just pour it in

Can you use the gelatin twice? Can you use it when you transfer into your secondary and then again when you keg? When you use gelatin when kegging is alright to keg the beer and put it in the kegerator and carbonate immediately with that gelatin in or should I perge with CO2 and just let sit over night at room temp before? I would think that cold crashing before carbonating would work best...any thoughts?

Add the gelatin once the beer has been cold (I wait 24 hrs after placing the keg in my keezer or my fermentor in the fridge.) I don't think you need to add the gelatin twice to get good clear beer.

msa8967 said:
Add the gelatin once the beer has been cold (I wait 24 hrs after placing the keg in my keezer or my fermentor in the fridge.) I don't think you need to add the gelatin twice to get good clear beer.

So since I added it in the secondary...from there just keg as normal, purge, and let sit in kegerator for 24hrs. without being on Co2? After 24hrs. do you push out sediment that has dropped then carbonate?

So since I added it in the secondary...from there just keg as normal, purge, and let sit in kegerator for 24hrs. without being on Co2? After 24hrs. do you push out sediment that has dropped then carbonate?

I have always had the CO2 on when I add the gelatin. I just disconnect the gas for the time I open the keg lid. I usually let the gelatin go for more than 24 hrs since the CO2 is connected just to get the carbing process going.

I started using gelatin after I read New Brewing Lager Beer. I basically follow the procedures in the book. Chill the beer to below 40F. Add 1gm of gelatin to 2oz of cold water per gallon of beer to a small pot. Let it sit covered an hour. Gradually heat the mixture to between 150F and 160F. Stir it to mix the gelatin and water thoroughly. Pour the gelatin mixture into the beer. Mix the gelatin into the beer by gently rocking the carboy/keg for a couple of minutes. Then the book says to let the beer sit for 7-14 days.

I typically vary my procedures slightly. I'm sure their is an exact recommended temp for the beer before adding gelatin, but my refridgerator usually sits at 38F-40F most of the time when I don't have the temp controller attached, and it works fine. Often times I will use the Knox packs just for convenience. When I do, I just mix one packet (7gm) to a pint of water for simplicity. I typically chill my beer and rack it to a secondary. Then I add the gelatin, put the airlock in, and rock the carboy for a couple of minutes. I let the beer sit until it's clear, which usually only takes 2-5 days at the most. Then I transfer it to the keg and carbonate. I get clear beer from the first pull.

I put 1 packet in cold water and heat till hot and dissolved but not boiling. I then pour it into an empty carboy and rack the beer on top of it. I usually drop the temp to 40-50 and let it sit for a week before going into the keg where it sits at 32-34 for 2 weeks.

All this helps a lot! THanks everyone. I did the gelatin into the carboy and racked over it into the secondary. It has been sitting for a little over a week. When I keg it I will let sit for 24hrs at about 35-36F and then pull a little and I will see how it looks from there. Thanks again!

Back