tried my first homebrew a few nights ago!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xbabyboy4021x

Reaction score
i tried my very first homebrewed beer a few nights ago, it was a Brewers Best kit called American Light, after only being in the bottle for 1 week, i knew it wasnt going to be done but i wanted to taste what a "young beer" tastes like that way if i brew a batch of something darker or heavier that im not sure what it should taste like in the end ill know that "young beer" taste. my first one i was trying to crash cool it and wanted it to get cold quick so i stuck it in the freezer and accidentally forgot about it and it froze so i waited for it to thaw and poured it, it was a little cloudy but very well carbed and tasted pretty close to what i think it should taste like, then i decided to try another one since i thought maybe letting it freeze might have changed the taste a little, i let the second one sit in the fridge for about 55 hours and then poured it and it was darker than the first one and had a stonger, idk, yeasty kind of taste maybe? does anybody know why they would be so different when they were bottled on the same day from the same batch? did the freezing have anything to do with it you think?

First off, congrats on the first brew. :mug:
Not sure what the freezing did but I'm glad to hear it didn't explode.
As for the difference, it could be the freezing then thawing. Sometimes there can be a difference in the amount of carbonation depending on how you mixed the sugar in. Did you boil it? Did you transfer to a bottling bucket? Different things have different effects.

i boiled the sugar in water and let it cool then put in the bottom of the bottling bucket and siphoned the beer from primary to bottling bucket

Back