Fat Tire in WI/IL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abraxas

Reaction score
Had a bunch of Fat Tires whenever I would travel west, and on the occasion somebody had some locally and always enjoyed them/was slightly dissapointed I couldnt it locally. Then last week I noticed some in a Milwaukee bar which i had assumed were "smuggled".

Then this weekend I found out they had a Chicago release of this beer.

Unfortunately, I was a little dissapointed with the bottle I got. Just didn't seem to be as good as I remembered. Now I am wondering if it tasted differently, or just seemed to due to fact that it is now apparently accessable locally...

Hi abraxas - I'm much the same, have always looked forward to a pint of Fat Tire when I go west to ski. I'm planning to get some this weekend in Chicago to compare to my latest clone brew (Fat Boy)...I'll let you know how it tastes (the Fat Tire, that is...I know mine will be good :D )

I think New Belgium is setting itself up for a failure here. People WANT fat tire badly. Even those that have never had it.

Why is this? Because there is so much talk about it and it's unavailable. This is causing Fat Tire to get an inflated value. It has kind of made the beer mythical, and I personally feel that when they finally DO unleash it on the eastern half of the US, there are going to be a LOT of dissapointed people. Of course, there will be a large number of people who will convince themselves that it is the best beer in the world simply because they waited so long to get it, but for those that are very critical of beer the reception might be a disaster. I can hear comments like, "What's the big deal? This isn't that special."

Personally, I feel that the beer's reputation is better than the beer itself. Not that the beer is bad... I really like it. But to hear people talk about it and the lengths they will go to in an effort to aquire some, it makes the beer sound like the beer to end all beers, or like it was drawn from the kettle of some brewing god.

-walker

fat TIRE...fat TIRE...fat TAR (okay, that was for Dude).

I agree with Walker. I've had the beer before and it's great, but not life altering. It's kind of the Cuban cigar of east of the Mississippi.

Yup... and for historical reference; people used to make pilgrimages to buy COORS. Yeah, that's right... COORS.

Granted, coors is a huge financial success, but does anyone think that a case of coors is worth a 1500 mile drive or airmail freight charges?

-walker

Walker-san said:
Yup... and for historical reference; people used to make pilgrimages to buy COORS. Yeah, that's right... COORS.

Granted, coors is a huge financial success, but does anyone think that a case of coors is worth a 1500 mile drive or airmail freight charges?

-walker
My father tells stories about how legendary Coors was when he was in college and I hardly believed him.

I suppose its the same thing that the toy companies do around the holidays.

Less supply=greater hype=greater demand.

The 22z Fat Tires were selling for $4 in store and $7 in a bar.

I bought a bottle in store, but I think $2.50 would have been a more appropriate price.

I wonder if this is a limited time release or permanent thing?

Walker-san said:

-walker

Cledus and the Bandit do!!
Eastbound and Down BABY!!! :tank:

Walker-san said:
Personally, I feel that the beer's reputation is better than the beer itself. Not that the beer is bad... I really like it. But to hear people talk about it and the lengths they will go to in an effort to aquire some, it makes the beer sound like the beer to end all beers, or like it was drawn from the kettle of some brewing god.

-walker

Point very well taken - at least for me part of the enjoyment is the fact that you're in a bar at 9000 feet rehashing the day's killer skiing. The Fat Tire, for folks 'out east', is just part of the added experience.

Fat Tire + ski bunnies + log cabin = fantastic memories.
Fat Tire + your poker buddies + your garage = 'eh'

Walker-san said:

-walker
Both breweries are in Colorado. I'm also in Colorado and I have to say I like both products. I do however agree that Fat Tire is good beer but it is not something I can't live without. EDIT: Double negative?
I'm wondering if they have grown too quickly and maybe their quality control is suffering. I also wonder how fresh the beer is the further east you go. For one, is it transported cold? I don't care what type of beer heat has got to be very bad for it. I know Coors uses refrigerated trailers to transport their beer.

Walker-san said:
I think New Belgium is setting itself up for a failure here. People WANT fat tire badly. Even those that have never had it.

Why is this? Because there is so much talk about it and it's unavailable. This is causing Fat Tire to get an inflated value. It has kind of made the beer mythical, and I personally feel that when they finally DO unleash it on the eastern half of the US, there are going to be a LOT of dissapointed people. Of course, there will be a large number of people who will convince themselves that it is the best beer in the world simply because they waited so long to get it, but for those that are very critical of beer the reception might be a disaster. I can hear comments like, "What's the big deal? This isn't that special."

-walker

That is well said.

And I must admit, it has been a long time since I've had Fat Tire. The only reason I talk it up so well is because it was pivotal in developing my tastes for something other than BMC swill. I remember the first time I had Fat Tire in Omaha back in the mid/late 90's. It was pretty damn good. By the time I left in 2002 I wouldn't even drink it anymore--as I had found others that intrigued me more. But I definitely owe it to New Belgium for opening my eyes to somethign different.

I am hearing more and more that they may have loosened up the recipe now though. I'm betting to keep costs down.

I bought the clone kit because I was so intrigued, but then before it had even arrived, they started selling it in Chicago and I had one. It was good, but I think I'll change the recipe. It didn't have a bold enough flavor for me. I wanted something with more hops and malt. That's why I'm going to use the Abbey II (my condolences for your pappy, Dude) and add some leftover grains and hops to it. I might even double the hops just for fun.

abraxas said:
Less supply=greater hype=greater demand.

The 22z Fat Tires were selling for $4 in store and $7 in a bar.

I bought a bottle in store, but I think $2.50 would have been a more appropriate price.

I wonder if this is a limited time release or permanent thing?
I can find 22's for about $2.59, Where I usually find it, I noticed last week that they also had it in 12oz bottles in 6ers and 12 packs. And not just Fat Tire, but other New Belgium offerings also. I hope it's not a limited thing. I've been waiting to try something else by them

Brewsmith said:
I can find 22's for about $2.59, Where I usually find it, I noticed last week that they also had it in 12oz bottles in 6ers and 12 packs. And not just Fat Tire, but other New Belgium offerings also. I hope it's not a limited thing. I've been waiting to try something else by them

1554 is very good if memory serves me well... I am sure that the stores are gouging customers at $4 bucks a 22, since well, they can charge that, at least while the intitial hype is high. Everything in the store I was in was overpriced, though the selection was fairly decent, probably because they had somebody hired to stand in the beer isle and recomend beers.

I do remember that the main reason New Belgian limited their distro to was because of the enviromental factors associated with the additional travel. This was always something that I respected about the brewery a great deal.

Cheesefood said:
I bought the clone kit because I was so intrigued, but then before it had even arrived, they started selling it in Chicago and I had one. It was good, but I think I'll change the recipe. It didn't have a bold enough flavor for me. I wanted something with more hops and malt. That's why I'm going to use the Abbey II (my condolences for your pappy, Dude) and add some leftover grains and hops to it. I might even double the hops just for fun.

My clone is light, but enjoyable. The lightness really allows the biscuit malt to be prominant. Any darker or heavily hopped and this characteristic might fade into the other flavors. definately not something I drink after a much darker beer however.

abraxas said:
My clone is light, but enjoyable. The lightness really allows the biscuit malt to be prominant. Any darker or heavily hopped and this characteristic might fade into the other flavors. definately not something I drink after a much darker beer however.

See my "Lazy Monk" recipe in my sig. I thought that Tire was OK, but it didn't have enough flavor for me. I really like a beer to have strong flavors, so I upped the malts and upped the hops.

By the way, this is the first Reinheitsgebot beer I've brewed in quite a while.

I tried Fat Tire for the first time a few months ago at the airport in Houston. Having never really heard of it before that I didn't really know what to expect. When I tried it, it tasted like its name. It had a strange sour bite to it that I've never tasted before. I assumed that this was how it was supposed to taste. Then a buddy at work told me about Fat Tire and how much he liked it. Based on his explanation I'm thinking that maybe they had a bad keg or something. Is the sour taste an intended flavor or not?

Anyway, my friend from work said that the reason they've never shipped east of the Mississippi is because they don't Pasteurize. If this is the case, it seems like they're taking a big risk in opening up the market.

I had to drink Fat Tire last night because only one of my homebrews was chilled. After drinking the one homebrew first, the Fat Tire left me less than satisfied. It's just not THAT great of a beer. Not if you like a hop bite.

Now, judging by all the New Belgium bottles I use for bottling, I used to think it was pretty good. Compared to BMC back then, it was better.

I do have to say that it was nice and clear with no chill haze, but I'll take a little chill haze any day in exchange for more flavor....

I'm with Dude on this one. Fat Tire was the forerunner in opening my eyes to good beer. It was excellent when I first tried it and for a while after my favorite. Now I only drink it if i'm low on cash when I go to the bars. It costs the same as a bud or coors(2.50/12oz or 5.99/ 6er in store) and doesn't make me want to yak. New Belgium's Sunshine Wheat is pretty damn good though. I dissagree with the thought that NB is setting themselves up for a downfall though. Judging by the various price structures around the country, it seems they are simply using their almost legendary status to break into a larger market and compete more closely with macrobrews. It's my belief that once they penetrate new regional markets sufficiently, their prices will fall. As we all know, as price drops so does consumer's perception of quality. However, I don't think their strategy is to make exceptional beer, but rather steer all the AB and Coors drinking zombies into the light and into the world of microbrew.

But then maybe thats just wishful thinking. America's beer drinkers need a hero!
Long live New Belgum! :mug:

Fit Tire is everywhere in the Chicago area right now - it is really being pushed hard. Every bar I walk into now has it for about $5-$6 a 22oz. bottle and I've been able to score several empty bottles!:ban:

Jewel grocery stores have it for $2.99 a 22oz. bottle. At that price, it's a good beer. IMHO, there are a lot better beers out there. FT does lack a bold malt or hop prescence, as others have said. OTOH, if it's a choice b/w BudMillerCoorsDogStyle, Fat Tire wins, hands down!

Speaking as one who was in the bar business in Colorado in the late 90's New Belgium used to require that potential accounts apply to them for acceptance. many bars and restaurants were dissaproved for reasons like location, lack of gross sales etc. New b. always seemed to me to be picking their market when everyone from brekenridge brewing to BMC was whoring themselves to everyone. I don't disagree with either tactic but N.B. always seemed to be a little more concerned about controlling their market so that the product wouldn't suffer. MO

The 7-11 across the street from my house quit selling wine and now sells Fat Tire in the cooler they used to use for wine. Personally, I'd rather they still sell wine. I can get Goose Island amber (or any other flavor) pretty easily and I like that a lot better than the Tire.

Now available East of the Mississippi? Is this the end of the Smokey and the Bandit franchise?

I enjoy Fat Tire. It's an excellent entre to the Belgian style. Consider the other mainstream alternative... Blue Moon.... thththt!

We get Flat Tire out here all the time and I don't care for it anymore. It is not the beer it was in the beginning and has become a bland red ale. When I first had it, maybe 12 years ago it was being brewed in a garage or some such place and it was good. It was a real Belgium style brew. Not any more. Now it is a over-produced wanna-be.

i had my first fat tire probably 10 years ago and really enjoyed it then, but then at some point it was different. i dont know if it was the amount of different flavored beers i had tried since then or what it was. but i live in colorado and never go for a fat tire. in my opinion there are many better choices out there. just my two cents.

I gotta put my 2-cents into this one. Years ago I had my first (and a lot more that trip) FT when I went on a ski-trip in Colorado. Back then I was past the Milw. Best days of cheap beer in college and starting into Leinenkugel's and Sam Adams. FT was just awesome. Friends would bring it home after trips west.

Then in June I was in Moab, CO and they had it on tap. Well, after a few of Moab's Scorpion PA's I asked for a FT on tap. Booooring! And it wasn't because I just downed some high IBU PA's.

FT is a great beer to transition the bud/coors/nationwide-micro's into real beer. Awaken those taste-buds.

Back