John Harvards

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirage

Reaction score
Anyone in Boston/Cambridge been to John Harvards? Boston Beer Works was being discussed and I forgot about this place. It has both good beer and food. Anyone else have any experience?

Ha! I live in Cambridge, and I was searching the net to find a diff place to go for dinner w/ the SWMBO tonight. I came across this place for the 1st time tonight...& now I see this. What are the chances! We didn't go...so I can't comment. I am a big fan of Cambridge Brewing Company though in Kendall Square.

I have never gone there myself, but as a grad student at Harvard I know a bunch of people who go and enjoy it thoroughly... though I cannot speak for their appreciation of good beer nor what they consider good food... I am sure I will go sooner or later, living so close to it after all..

I haven't been to the one in Cambridge. But the one in Providence is ok. I've never been for more than a beer in Framingham. I'd like to get to the one in Manchester CT. Our lhbs owner is now brewing over there and I'd like to try out his brews.

That's pretty cool. So each one has different beers? Or is he working for them and producing their beers?

As far as I know each has there own beers. It could be there are some house brews and then a few the brewer can throw in as his/her choice. I'll get more info the next time I speak to him.

The John Harvard's in Harvard Sq. is actually pretty decent-- the food is quintessential pub grub. Besides their regular lineup, there are quite a few seasonal/specialty brews the brewer puts out on a regular basis. I haven't been in about a week, but last time I was there they had a 12% wheat wine and their demon double pale ale on. Both were very good. Their RIS called midwinter's is also quite good. So is their saison.

As far as brewpubs in the Boston area go, this is second best to Cambridge Brewing Co.

Yet another vote for Cambridge Brewing Co. I need to head over there. Maybe sometime this week. I looked at their beer list last night, and they have a GREAT selection. Looking forward to trying it.

Was the wheat wine on tap at John Harvard's one they brewed, or was it Harpoon's Leviathan Triticus? I couldnt find the Triticus anywhere besides the brewery itself, though they said it was on taps (and actually only taps, none was bottled). If they are getting tasty brews like the Harpoon Leviathan series on tap that is reason enough to head over there.

Was the wheat wine on tap at John Harvard's one they brewed, or was it Harpoon's Leviathan Triticus? I couldnt find the Triticus anywhere besides the brewery itself, though they said it was on taps (and actually only taps, none was bottled). If they are getting tasty brews like the Harpoon Leviathan series on tap that is reason enough to head over there.

This was John Harvard's recipe--beer was called California Stars.

I've seen Harpoon's on tap at Cambridge Common, Deep Ellum, and Bukowski's.

John Harvards doesn't have guest taps, just their own stuff. I go to the one in Manchester CT all the time, and their new brewer (I believe the one from RI) is pretty damn good. They also put some of their selection on cask. I had a nice hoppy barleywine and a damn fine IPA on cask there.

Depending on the rotation the beers are pretty nice. They do have the standard Pale ale for the BMC drinkers all the time, but the rest of the selection follows the seasons appropriately. IPAs however, are always on ;)

mike

John Harvards doesn't have guest taps, just their own stuff. I go to the one in Manchester CT all the time, and their new brewer (I believe the one from RI) is pretty damn good. They also put some of their selection on cask. I had a nice hoppy barleywine and a damn fine IPA on cask there.

Depending on the rotation the beers are pretty nice. They do have the standard Pale ale for the BMC drinkers all the time, but the rest of the selection follows the seasons appropriately. IPAs however, are always on ;)

mike

Uncle Frank.
I haven't been to the Manchester location since Chris left for Cambridgehouse. What I know of Frank is that he was a homebrewer with just a tad of commercial experience (i.e. he helped out here and there). It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Uncle Frank.
I haven't been to the Manchester location since Chris left for Cambridgehouse. What I know of Frank is that he was a homebrewer with just a tad of commercial experience (i.e. he helped out here and there). It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.

Uncle Frank it is. I'll be intersted to see what he comes up with too.

Ha! I live in Cambridge, and I was searching the net to find a diff place to go for dinner w/ the SWMBO tonight. I came across this place for the 1st time tonight...& now I see this. What are the chances! We didn't go...so I can't comment. I am a big fan of Cambridge Brewing Company though in Kendall Square.

Just wanted to thank you for mentioning this place. I went last night with my girlfriend (we brew together) and I have to say that the food and beer were EXCELLENT! We both particuarily enjoyed the Weekapaug Gruit. I think we are going to brew this next. I wrote down the ingredients they listed on the menu and need to search for a recipe. Thanks again!

Glad you had a good time.

Keep your schedule open for The Great Pumpkin Festival on Oct. 31. 4 guest brewers will be bringing pumpkins beers--2 of which will be a pumpkin saison and a pumpkin hefe.

I went to the John Harvard's in Framingham about a month ago. The food and our waiter were great, but the bartender was a dick when we were getting a couple beers before our buzzer thing went off. The beers were alright - kind of bland and not very exciting. Their IPA was weak and watery. Ironically on the way out there was an article framed on the wall near the door about the master brewer and how proud she is of her IPA and how great it is... blah blah blah. I'd go back for the food and a quick beer if I was in the area but wouldn't go out of my way or go there just for the beer.

I went to the John Harvard's in Framingham about a month ago. The food and our waiter were great, but the bartender was a dick when we were getting a couple beers before our buzzer thing went off. The beers were alright - kind of bland and not very exciting. Their IPA was weak and watery. Ironically on the way out there was an article framed on the wall near the door about the master brewer and how proud she is of her IPA and how great it is... blah blah blah. I'd go back for the food and a quick beer if I was in the area but wouldn't go out of my way or go there just for the beer.

If you're out that way again skip Harvards and go to Owen O'leary's in Southboro. It's on the east bound side of route 9.There beer is excellent and the food and wait staff are awesome. If you happen to be out that way Monday thru Thursday pm me and I'll meet you for a beer.

Glad you had a good time.

Keep your schedule open for The Great Pumpkin Festival on Oct. 31. 4 guest brewers will be bringing pumpkins beers--2 of which will be a pumpkin saison and a pumpkin hefe.

Is this being held at the Cambridge Brewing Co.? I looked on their site and didn't see anything about it. Thanks!

If you're out that way again skip Harvards and go to Owen O'leary's in Southboro. It's on the east bound side of route 9.There beer is excellent and the food and wait staff are awesome. If you happen to be out that way Monday thru Thursday pm me and I'll meet you for a beer.

Sounds good. The only times I'm really up that way is when I'm making a run to Julio's and that's usually on the weekend. But if I ever find myself heading up there during the week I'll definitely shoot you a PM beforehand.

Sounds good. The only times I'm really up that way is when I'm making a run to Julio's and that's usually on the weekend. But if I ever find myself heading up there during the week I'll definitely shoot you a PM beforehand.

You don't need to go all the way to Westboro for a great beer selection. Check out Yankee spirits in S.Attleboro or Swansea.

I usually go to Julio's with SWMBO and/or a bunch of friends and we make an afternoon of beer buying, wine tasting, buying new hot sauces and cheeses, etc and then hit up a bar in the area.

I found a packy, Cork's Liquors, in Mansfield that I drive by all the time on my way to the LHBS and have never stopped in. I went a couple weeks ago after picking up some ingredients and found a great selection.

Luke's Liquors in Rockland is a lot closer to me than Julio's but I've had such bad experiences in the 3 times I've been there that I'll never go back.

I'll need to check out Yankee Spirits in Attleboro in the near future. And I'll be sure to ask for Ray if I need any help.

I'll need to check out Yankee Spirits in Attleboro in the near future. And I'll be sure to ask for Ray if I need any help.

I was in there about a month ago. They have such a huge selection it makes me wonder how much inventory they turn over. i walked out with a couple 07 smutty wheat wines. not that i'm complaining about that, but if it were something else....maybe.

I was in there about a month ago. They have such a huge selection it makes me wonder how much inventory they turn over. i walked out with a couple 07 smutty wheat wines. not that i'm complaining about that, but if it were something else....maybe.

They move a ton of product through there. He's a brewer so he knows his stuff.

Anyone from MA needs to check out Colonial in Acton MA.
Pleace is huge and you will find beer from all over the world. If they dont have something for you then they will order it.

Marlborough Wine & Spirit on Rt20 in Marlborough near 495 has a nice selection. They moved there from across town, which is convenient for me, much closer to my house!

BTW, I thought the John Harvard's in Framingham sucked, and the one in Cambridge was pretty good - although I haven't been to either in a few years, so they have probably changed.

Back