Question: does artificial light and indirect sunlight affect mead brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnecron

Reaction score
For some reason I left my mead on my desk for a week, which was close to the window but curtain was half shut and there were some cloths hanging right next to that curtain so it didn't get direct exposure to the sunlight. I only used the light on the ceiling after dark and mostly kept the light off after midnight. The mead was at the first stage of fermentation. I tasted the mead a little yesterday, and it didn't smell or tasted bad. Is there any chance this mead to go bad? I stored it in my cellar right before I wrote this question, so would it turn out OK?

P.S
The mead is about half a gallon, and I added some cinnamon and lemon juice.

Light itself shouldn't cause any problem, other than the effect it may have on temperature if it was pouring in on the mead for a longer period of time. When you hear about the "light struck" or "skunked" off-flavor, this is something that is specific to hop chemistry, and should only affect a beer, or perhaps a hop metheglin

Back