Basemalt experiment question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhousebrew

Reaction score
So I recently brewed up four one gallon batches of SMaSH batches featuring MO, Rahr 2-Row Pale, Vienna, and Munich. All with some EKG at 60 and 15 and with US-05. Since I've gone this far I was thinking about doing a Golden Promise as well.

I was also thinking about doing another Rahr 2-Row with maybe five percent Biscuit or Victory Malt to see if that would mimic something like the bready and nutty flavors of Maris Otter. Any thoughts on this? Would this come somewhere close or is my thinking off on this one?

yep, EKG hops at 60 and 15 with US-05 on all of them.
Any thoughts on the 2-row biscuit/victory idea anyone?

I haven't done it yet so we'll see what percentage I go for if I find time to make it happen. But that is good to know.

I did this experiment, but the variable in question was hops, not grain... I just ended up making five crappy beers.

I did this experiment, but the variable in question was hops, not grain... I just ended up making five crappy beers.

Lol, sorry to hear that. I guess your result is something I'm trying to avoid. Down the line I want to do this with hops as well. Maybe just divide up an extract kit into five individual batches.

The OG was 1.037. I did five small batches and had to do five small boils. It was a PITA and I don't even know why.

Back