Partial Controlled Fermentation Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyblinkin

Reaction score
I normally do not control the temperature for my fermentation. I don't have the room or a second refrigerator. But, my keezer is completely empty, so i figure I might as well put it to use as a fermentation chamber. Because my kegs are empty I want to brew two ales about 10 days apart, but my chest freezer does not have enough room for two carboys (and I want to do both a primary and secondary fermentation for both ales). My questions is, is it still worth it to control the primary fermentation if I store my carboy for the secondary fermentation at ambient, basement temperatures (which is around 72 degrees right now)? Which is more important to control, primary or secondary if you absolutely have to pick one?

Temp control is really most important during the first few days of primary, after the fermentation begins to slow, it's not as crucial as long as it doesn't get too hot. Why not look into a simple swamp cooler bucket so you can always control temps? Your beer will appreciate it.

Primary is more important.

Specifically from the time of pitching to the stage where the yeast begin to slow. Sometimes, I only control the temps for the first 5 days and then let them be at room temperature.

Back