Coffee and Coconut

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoptopia

Reaction score
As anyone used either ingredient? Are these like hops where a longer boil gives more nose flavor or not really cause youre not converting the oils like you do with hops? I'm trying to figure out how I give a beer more coffee nose and coconut finish.

Thanks!

I've used coffee in a brew already. Turned out great. Used it in a porter. I don't think they are like hops; more of an adjunct.

I've used cold brewed coffee added at bottling to a brown ale, came out fantstic. I have been looking for a good coffee stout recipe too. Usually with coffee you "dry bean", dry hop with beans, or steep the beans in water overnight which extracts the flavor without the harshness of adding regularly made coffee.

I've never done coconut though.

I've heard of others using coconut in secondary and it sounds like it works fairly well. I would imagine toasting them may also impart some good flavor.

I used coffee(espresso) in my very first batch, Redhook Double Black clone. It was great. Especially after 8 months in the bottle. I plan on adding coffee to my next stout.

I used coconut in the secondary as well as coconut water in the boil. The flavor really comes from the secondary addition of the coconut, I just added some coconut water to the boil just to try it out, but I really didn't taste much coconut until I transfered to the secondary and racked on top of 3lbs of coconut. You have to toast unsweetened flakes to get rid of as much of the coconut oil as possible otherwise it will kill your head retention. It came out awesome and has a great coconut flavor.

Back