Chest Freezer Conversion to Kegerator - Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atl300zx

Reaction score
I picked up a cheap Chest Freezer that I am going to convert to a kegerator.

I am going to use the collar method so i dont have to drill holes in the actual freezer.

In past new hobbies (aquariums, cars, etc) it seems like I buy what i think is a good setup, but find out later that i overpaid or bought sub-par parts and end up having to replace half of what i bought.

Basically i am looking for lessons learned, recommendations on parts, and of course good vendors with good prices.

I know i need at least the following parts:

2-gauge regulator
5 lb. Aluminum CO2 Bottle
5 gallon Cornelius Keg (Qty=2)
draft fittings
tap
hoses
Thermostat
Drip tray
Gas Line Distributor (to make regulator feed 2 kegs)

Am I forgetting any parts?

Also I am open to suggestions on Brands and where to purchase these from.

Thanks!!!

Buy Perlick or Shirron forward seat faucets. It is worth the extra money.
Find the 800 number @ superprod.com and call for the best pricing (it's not on the site or in the store)

olllllo said:
Buy Perlick or Shirron forward seat faucets. It is worth the extra money.
Find the 800 number @ superprod.com and call for the best pricing (it's not on the site or in the store)

That is where I bought mine, they have the best prices and great service. The price on the Perlicks went up a few $'s but they still have the best price.

I know it is an old thread but there has been a new development that I wanted to share that should save, anyone tackling a similar project, both money and time. There is actually a company that is selling the entire kit to convert a chest freezer to serve keg beer for $360 or homebrew beer with kegs included for $450(with pepsi kegs). The site is KegCowboy.Com http://www.KegCowboy.Com and the whole kit is assembled with a tank so that you just need to install and add beer. It is in their keezer freezerator section. I hope this helps others that have been confused as to what to buy or turned off by the prices of the parts.

I use a $30 temp controller from chicompany.net for my kegerator and it is perfect. It was plug and play ready and is spot on for temperature. The two secondaries and the primary I sourced on eBay using Tapprite Fasco units. The 5lb tank i had to buy full at the local gas supplier. The lines are 3/8". If you are only going to have two taps, you may want to look at my rig. It was super simple and didn't require all the collar work. I initially bought 4" shanks but could have used shorter ones. Here's the pics from the build.

Keezer in wine cellar(under construction)
DSC_0106.JPG

4 cornies can actually fit in here with the hump still open for other things
The secondary regulators I found on eBay new and plumbed them together.

Shot of tap lines to taps
DSC_0107.JPG

After pulling the panel off the lid I noticed I could put these right into the lid and not have to build a collar.

If I can remember right this is what I spent

What you need is a CO2 tank and regulator. These are without a doubt the most expensive things to buy. I picked up a used 20# for $35 at an auction, but paid $120 for a triple regulator. I also picked up a 200' roll of beverage hose (3/8) for $10.

I will supply the auction place site if anyone wants it, but I don't like advertising other peoples sites, they deal in seized restaurant equipment. I got a Perlik line cooler for $5, but I digress.

I paid for a Ranco controller (about $120), four ball tap fluid adapters and 2 ball tap co2. I bought a bag of hose clamps for ~$10, and 6 barbed male 3/8 hose adapters for about $20 at home depot. The tower and 2 faucets I had gifted to me.

The freezer I got for free off craigslist. They wanted to get rid of it because it was not frost free and only was ~7 cubic feet. I didn't care because I am not cooling to where it will frost and I don't really like the freeze/thaw cycles of a frost free.

So all in all it cost about $300 in total, but I bought it in pieces.

I know it is an old thread but there has been a new development that I wanted to share that should save, anyone tackling a similar project, both money and time. There is actually a company that is selling the entire kit to convert a chest freezer to serve keg beer for $360 or homebrew beer with kegs included for $450(with pepsi kegs). The site is KegCowboy.Com http://www.KegCowboy.Com and the whole kit is assembled with a tank so that you just need to install and add beer. It is in their keezer freezerator section. I hope this helps others that have been confused as to what to buy or turned off by the prices of the parts.

Do you work for them or something? Over 1/4 of your posts are pimping this site, and you even dug up a two year old thread to do it this time.

Well I am in Houston and it is our only local supplier of these items, but I have also bought from Northern Brewer, Beverage Factory, Micromatic, etc. I continue to be amazed that this small Houston company is the lowest price even when compared to the many options I have on the internet.

The reason I think it is important this time is I was researching how to convert a chest freezer and here is this great post that I bet many people have relied upon in making their keezer, but there are new options now with actual kits being sold and for much less than what one would think.

Just because a post is old doesn't mean every question has been answered or that people don't continue to rely on the information in it.

I work for a real estate company .........for the moment

Since we all come here looking for answers I think we should provide any information we find helpful even when a post is old. I am also a big fan of harbor freight tools and I link them too when I find cheap alternatives.

Back