• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale HDPE Fermenters/Grain Storage Containers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tealio

Reaction score
Hey Guys!

My better half is forcing me to get rid of most of my barrels that I have been saving for an upcoming business as a brew school. I originally acquired about 25 of these, and have used them for storing sacks of grain and as fermenters.

They originally housed salt water aquarium salts (my father owns an aquarium business in Florida) and have been cleaned and scrubbed with oxy clean free with hot water and a soft scrub pad.

The barrels are about 13.5 gallons, are HDPE 2 plastic, have a screw top lid and an internal snap in lid, and weight about 7 lbs empty.

For grain storage I usually use a XL Space Bag on the inside for added seal and to suck out air, but that is optional, I have friend that just pour the grain in. I would say best method depends on how long you hold grain for...

As a fermenter I just drill an airlock/blowoff hole through the lid, many of methods of doing so.

They have heavy duty handles and work great for 10 gallon batches. I use them for standard aged beers, but due to the plastic some would put into glass if fermenting for more than a month.

These are for sale at $16 each, with $14 for shipping through USPS Parcel Post. UPS and Fedex were three times higher due to the size of these (they are very light, so weight is not a factor).

I originally planned to just slap a shipping label on them, but found some boxes I can cut into cylinders to provide them a little protection.

All the barrels for sale are clean and have not been used for brewing yet, have been washed (you would probably want to wash them and sanitize them using your own methods before use).

Payment accepted is PayPal, please PM me or email me (email is faster) [email protected]

Cheers!

img1281c.jpg

img1282cx.jpg

img1283ty.jpg

The size is 14"W x 14"L x 18"H

Local pickup in Dallas would of course be free :)

If shipping is cheaper for two, I'll refund...

Right now my plan is boxes from work taped together in a cylindrical form just to make the ride a little smoother...

Those interested in twos or threes let me box them and get a quote tonight.

Watch for email or PM tomorrow

How much grain can you typically fit in one? I would be interested in two or three if shipping comes down

Should be able to fit a whole sack, at least a 50 pound sack in one.

I now use larger blue barrels, but use to put whole sacks in these. Definitely could fit a whole sack if you take a batch off a sack and then store the rest.

I really like the XL space bags at walmart (here in Dallas they are $12 for a pack of two), put the bag in the barrel like a trashbag and then vacuum the air out after filling and sealing. Adds an extra layer of freshness.

I'm going to box up one, two, and three and bring em down to the post office tomorrow and see if I can get some exact shipping prices. Looking online it looks like it may be an "irregular package" when may make it a little more, but we will see. I will also check UPS and FEDEX again, but for one due to the size, it was $36+ on both carriers which would of course not make sense for fellow brewers...

So far today I packed one in a box and then two in a box-
One in a box

FEDEX- $11 to a business address, $13 home delivery
UPS- $18

Two in a box
FEDEX $35 business address, $37 home delivery
UPS $53

I will take them to USPS for quotes on monday, I think USPS parcel post is probably the best, otherwise single packed to a business address would be cheapest.

Update- Better pricing on 2 packs.

Best Prices I have found-

For one in a box- FEDEX - $11 to a business address, $13 for a home delivery
For two in a box- USPS- $21 with tracking number- this was the rate from Dallas to Los Angeles

I don't think the rates would change much going east, but before you paypal send me an exact address and I will double check.

So thats about $7 cheaper for two than I originally thought, hope that helps guys.

I think three in a box will still fit within 130 inches, so if anyone is kind of sure they want three at once, I will get you a quote.

It takes me about 40 min to frankenstein boxes together, so thats why I say please be kind of sure.

So anyone wanting one at a time or two at a time they are already boxed up.

Cheers. I just got home from a 12 hour work day so it's time for a beer.

Are these actually Food grade plastic or would you need to use a liner?

They are HDPE 2 so are fine to contact food, but for grain storage long term I use space bags for an extra seal.

One in a box
FEDEX- $11 to a business address, $13 home delivery
UPS- $18

Two in a box
FEDEX $35 business address, $37 home delivery
UPS $53

Am I understanding this correct, it's less expensive to
ship two separate packages of one in each than it
is to ship a single larger package of two?

With FedEx, yes since price is associated with size, and two together are quite large - 30" x 14" x 20".

USPS offers parcel post which is around $21 with confirmation number to most of the US from here in Dallas.

With FedEx, yes since price is associated with size, and two together are quite large - 30" x 14" x 20".

USPS offers parcel post which is around $21 with confirmation number to most of the US from here in Dallas.
Can i buy 2?

Shipped a few out, got a few still left.

They are boxed up since I had some free time tonight.

Anyone have any questions feel free to let me know!

Shipping has been the listed prices above.

I want to point out just so there are no surprises- the lid is two pieces. I always used it that way, but in the photo I didn't pop the inner lid out to make sure everyone knew it was another piece. I described it as a "snap on lid" in the original post.

It is the lighter blue one in the third picture.

Here is a photo I got from a friend on how he set up as a fermenter. He used a bucket lid rubber grommet and cheap Refridgeration hose that he just recycles along with the plastic bottle if it get funky.

He also added a good idea which was to put a small saucer or plate in between the lids for more of a positive lock down. This pushes the lower removable seal down more than just the screw on lid.

He loves these because he can stack two 12 gallon batches in his fridge with the blowoff installed this way!

Just thought I would add.

image-3455454789.jpg

hey I will definitely take one if you still have them...maybe even two. please pm me with prices/payment info if you can. thanks!

Here is a photo I got from a friend on how he set up as a fermenter. He used a bucket lid rubber grommet and cheap Refridgeration hose that he just recycles along with the plastic bottle if it get funky.

He also added a good idea which was to put a small saucer or plate in between the lids for more of a positive lock down. This pushes the lower removable seal down more than just the screw on lid.

He loves these because he can stack two 12 gallon batches in his fridge with the blowoff installed this way!

Just thought I would add.
Yeah i meant to ask you how you've seen people ferment in them, because they're not air tight. I've got a 10 gallon batch of IPA going in one strong, but no bubbler activity. I used some aquarium silicone to hopefully get a better seal. I replaced it this morning, so i guess we'll see if it worked. If not, back to the drawing board.

Make sure the lid is tight. I lidded all of them when I was washing them half full and didn't see any leaks upside down. Hope it works ok!

Make sure the lid is tight. I lidded all of them when I was washing them half full and didn't see any leaks upside down. Hope it works ok!
The lid was tight. When you spin them on tight they bulge out on the sides somewhat. Believe me, im pretty competent when it comes to building things and the seal isn't tight. There's no way you could've flipped them upside down with water in them. Just shaking wort around in them the residual leaked a little out of the side. Im just wondering if anyone had any luck as far as sealing them up better for fermenting. Im going to check the aquarium sealant one when i get home, but im not optimistic.

The lid was tight. When you spin them on tight they bulge out on the sides somewhat. Believe me, im pretty competent when it comes to building things and the seal isn't tight. There's no way you could've flipped them upside down with water in them. Just shaking wort around in them the residual leaked a little out of the side. Im just wondering if anyone had any luck as far as sealing them up better for fermenting. Im going to check the aquarium sealant one when i get home, but im not optimistic.

I found that mine leaked too. I took a piece of 3/4" thick wood and ran it across the top of the inner lid and then screwed the outer lid over this. After I did that, I didn't notice any leaks. I also found you really have to screw the lid down tight and it's a real PITA to open it back up. I'd be curious to hear if your sealant solution worked.

I found that mine leaked too. I took a piece of 3/4" thick wood and ran it across the top of the inner lid and then screwed the outer lid over this. After I did that, I didn't notice any leaks. I also found you really have to screw the lid down tight and it's a real PITA to open it back up. I'd be curious to hear if your sealant solution worked.
I ran a bead last night and let it cure, so i'll throw it on when i get home tonight and let you guys know how it worked out.

Yeah, i think i figured out the issue. The top of the bins are warped so they're not 100% round. They're slightly oval, which is why the lids aren't sealing properly. This kinda blows.

Yeah, i think i figured out the issue. The top of the bins are warped so they're not 100% round. They're slightly oval, which is why the lids aren't sealing properly. This kinda blows.

I bought two and one leaks and the other one seems okay. The inner lid on the one that leaks is out of round. Placing the 3/4" thick wood strip over the top of the inner lid and then screwing down the outer lid seems to be working. I plan to brew a 10 gallon batch this weekend so I'll see how it works out.

I bought 2 as well, I haven't tried then out yet but how are people trying to seal these things?

Back