Did Wild Yeast Get in My Keg? Need this beer for a wedding. :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tradgunkie

Reaction score
Ok, I recently brewed Northern Brewer's Sierra Madre based off of all the solid reviews on their site. I washed and reused a batch of 1056 that I had from an earlier Chinook IPA that I did.

I made a starter, and let it ferment for about three weeks. Beer tasted good going into the kegs.

I let the beer age at room temp. for about a month, then conditioned them in the fridge for about a week.

Today I take my first pour, and the beer tastes like a Hefeweizen. It doesn't taste bad, but it's just a bit sour and slightly cloudy. It definitely doesn't taste like a pale ale.

I did let about a pint an a half drain off before a filled my glass, so there still might be some sediment issues, but would that make the beer overly sour?

It's my first try at kegging a beer, and I cleaned and sanitized everything that the beer touched. Could wild yeast somehow have gotten in to make it sour, or could this be caused by something else?

I wouldn't be too worried, but I'm supposed to use this beer for my sister's wedding reception and I don't want to make anyone sick or get the runs the next day.

Should I go ahead and serve it calling it a Hefe, or warn folks to drink at their own risk. Scrap the whole thing and get a commercial keg of beer? Any ideas would be great?

Drink 4 or 5 with a friend and see if you get sick on it. If you don't, make up a name for it and serve it! Its your own creation. If you want to call it Hefe, no one is going to be upset.

Personally, I'd be putting the "drink at your own risk" sign on the commercial keg, not yours ;)

As wiser more experienced homebrewers have said before, you can't get "sick" from drinking a beer even if it has wild yeast in it.

As wiser more experienced homebrewers have said before, you can't get "sick" from drinking a beer even if it has wild yeast in it.

Which is a great thing, because I do love me some Lambic.

Now if you drink too much of it, side effects may include confusion, incoherent speech, blurred vision, thinking too highly of one's self, and vomiting.

Which is a great thing, because I do love me some Lambic.

Now if you drink too much of it, side effects may include confusion, incoherent speech, blurred vision, thinking too highly of one's self, and vomiting.

:rockin:

Drank a champagne bottle of lambic by myself yesterday and was feeling pretty darn good about myself haha.

Back