Is Peat Smoked Malt Evil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pistolero

Reaction score
I've noticed a vocal minority on another board seem to be very violently opposed to the use of peat smoked malt. Anybody know what's up with that? :confused: I'd ask one of the zeolots, but I hate getting drawn into controversial discussions. ;)

I've used it before and, while I don't think it is evil, I will say that a little goes a long way. I'd start with 1/4-1/2 lb. to any recipe.

El Pistolero said:
I've noticed a vocal minority on another board seem to be very violently opposed to the use of peat smoked malt. Anybody know what's up with that? :confused: I'd ask one of the zeolots, but I hate getting drawn into controversial discussions. ;)

I think its probably a matter of opinion. I had a taste of a Scotch Ale at the NHBC that had some peat malt in it and it was pretty good. Granted, the guy who brewed it is probably the best homebrewer I've run across. Every beer of his that I tasted was amazing.
At any rate--I'd agree with Rhoobarb, I'd bet a little goes a long way. :)

Your timing is uncanny. I just had a Skullsplitter for the first time last night. I didn't think I would like it one bit....but I loved it. There is definitely something smoked in there, and I'd be willing to bet it is peated malt. I found a clone recipe for it, and it calls for some peated malt.

I've also seen the people you are talking about. Seems kinda stupid to make such a big deal about a friggin' type of grain. The recipe one of these guys posted for a Skullsplitter clone used nothing smoked at all, so I don't see how they could expect it to taste right.

I've used it in a McEwens clone, in keg waiting to be tapped. I also added just an ounce or so to an IPA kit as an experiment, will see how that is in about a week or so. Doesn't smell tooooo strong, just smells like someone is smoking some pork in the area, just a wiff of smoke, at least to me. MPW

Add on, I just poured a glass of the McEwens and you can just taste a hint of the peat smoke, its like an afterthought, just a little reminder that this was supposed to be from Scotland. This was I believe 4 oz in a 5 gal batch. As they say "in Moderation" might apply best to the smoke. MPW

Sam75 said:
I've also seen the people you are talking about. Seems kinda stupid to make such a big deal about a friggin' type of grain.
Yeah, seemed kind of silly to me too, tho I'm usually all for tilting against windmills. :D

cbotrice said:
I've used it in a McEwens clone, in keg waiting to be tapped. I also added just an ounce or so to an IPA kit as an experiment, will see how that is in about a week or so. Doesn't smell tooooo strong, just smells like someone is smoking some pork in the area, just a wiff of smoke, at least to me. MPW

So is this smoked peat flavor/aroma anything like a Bamberger Rauchbier? Now, I've had plenty of them...at the Schlenkerla in Bamberg, mind you... :drunk:

homebrewer 99, don't know never had one, its just a light smoke taste or aftertaste as the case may be. Like the smell of cigarette just lit or like walking into a big humidor where you can taste the tabacco in the air. MPW

homebrewer_99 said:
So is this smoked peat flavor/aroma anything like a Bamberger Rauchbier? Now, I've had plenty of them...at the Schlenkerla in Bamberg, mind you... :drunk:

Given my limited experience with the styles, I'd say the Scottish styles are less pungently smokey and more earthy. The rauchbiers are more pungent, IMO.

After wanting to brew a Scotch ale and looking into the styles, I read that the native water used for this beer, originated from water sources that were heavy in peat, and that the peat is what gives it the smokey/earthy aroma and taste. And that the reason why homebrewers add amounts of smoked malt.

Anyone know if this is true?

I happened across a smoked beer in Manchester about 10 years ago. It was on tap as a not-too-populare special in some little greasy pub. I had one, and thought "Hmmm." so I had another. And then another. I swear, after that, I was in that place every night for about 3 pints, until the barrel was empty. It is a taste I will remember forever - very subtly smoke through a pale ale. Not for everyone, I suppose.

I can't imagine poo-pooing any ingredient for a brew. If you like it, use it. Papazian mentions a garlic beer which he couldn't even sip. Well, if you ask me, he screwed up. I'm not saying I'm big for garlic beer, but you HAVE to try the sucker before you decide. Then if you don't like it.. fine. But leave the smoked beer for me. :)

anyone think that smokey taste would go well with a stout? Maybe some oats and and an oz of smoked peat?

Sasquatch said:
I happened across a smoked beer in Manchester about 10 years ago. It was on tap as a not-too-populare special in some little greasy pub. I had one, and thought "Hmmm." so I had another. And then another. I swear, after that, I was in that place every night for about 3 pints, until the barrel was empty. It is a taste I will remember forever - very subtly smoke through a pale ale. Not for everyone, I suppose.

Damn...my interest is peaked. Smoke through a pale ale. Hmmmm.....

After wanting to brew a Scotch ale and looking into the styles, I read that the native water used for this beer, originated from water sources that were heavy in peat, and that the peat is what gives it the smokey/earthy aroma and taste. And that the reason why homebrewers add amounts of smoked malt.

Anyone know if this is true?

I remember reading that this was the way they dried the malt back then. They burned PEAT to heat the kiln which would also smoke it it.
I guess they found better methods later on and ditched the peat.

They are two totally different beasts. Rauchmalt is mild and meaty if you get my description. Rauchbier is strong in smoke because the % of smoked malt is very high.

Peated malt is very intense and has a strong phenollic quality like a peated scotch whiskey or in fact tcp. A some amount adds a notable phenolic quality to a beer. Which is way it is disliked by idiots probably cause they use it to liberally.

I've used peat malt with great success in a brown ale. 4oz was plenty in a 5 gallon batch. It has a subtle campfire character that's great for a fall beer

Also, Scottish ale should never have smoked malt in it. Now if you're trying to make a "scotch" ale, as in, tastes like scotch whisky, that's something else entirely.

I remember reading that this was the way they dried the malt back then. They burned PEAT to heat the kiln which would also smoke it it.
I guess they found better methods later on and ditched the peat.

With the greatest respect, a lot of this is romantic nonsense. Agriculturally the Lowlands of Scotland have more in common with northern England than the Highlands (which is where the peat is), and had access to coke kilning in a similar timeframe. Peat malt is principally made for the whisky industry, and even then only in the Highlands and islands - home to <5% of the population of Scotland. So it's fairly readily available but it's not a big thing for the beer industry, certainly not in macro beers like McEwans. It's the sort of thing that no doubt was used in farmhouse brewing in the Highlands, but today you only see it in specials from a fairly small number of commercial microbreweries. It can work really well as an accent note in something like an oatmeal stout (even better with some ageing with whisky-soaked oak), but not something you want in quantity.

I think it is a problem with it's use by the people who say don't use it. A little does go a long way. It would be relatively easy to ruin a good beer by using too much. Compared to other smoked malts it is very harsh. Where you might use others at 50% or more, peat smoked malt should be used in small percentages.

I have made a couple of recipes using peat smoked malt and would rank them at the to of all my brews. I used less than a pound both times in a 5 gallon batch.

I've brewed a peat smoked ale with 87% of the grain bill being peat smoked malt. It won a competition that was judged by other homebrewers (so something pretty minor). I loved it. Most people either loved it or hated it. No one was really in between. But the majority loved it. It feels like hop bitterness a bit. After some point, you can't tell the difference if there's more peat. But many really peaty Scotch makers tell of an interesting thing that happens when you go beyond "normal" in terms of peat smoked malt. It's as if the peat wraps the other flavors and aromas and almost brings them out a little. It changes as it increases in concentration. Maybe the same happens for beer. I would make mine again.

necro thread......

also peat smoked malts are smoked to different concentrations

ie

Lightly Peated 2 - 5 ppm phenols
Medium Peated 8 - 15 ppm phenols
Heavily Peated 25 - 50 ppm phenols

so you really need to know how well smoked it is.

I regularly brew a dry stout with up to 30% peated malt. I don't do that because it's an awful beer.
No, really, I don't understand why it is not used more often in stouts, it really shines there.
I made an Amber ale with 15% peated malt, which was awesome in the beginning, when the hop flavors (Mt. Hood and Hüll Melon) were complimenting it nicely. Once the hop mellowed out, this beer really started to taste like burned rubber. I will retry it though, it was truly special in the beginning.

But yes, it's a bit of a 'love it or hate it' kind of thing.

Last edited:
I love smoked beers, and I use 4oz in my smoked porter; I find it's super subtle. I've used a pound in other recipes, but that hasn't worked out well. Someday I'll try something in between...

I love smoked beers, and I use 4oz in my smoked porter; I find it's super subtle. I've used a pound in other recipes, but that hasn't worked out well. Someday I'll try something in between...

Agreed, love it in my porter. Never lasts long. Perfect for fall, evenings and winter nights.

Latest posts

Back