Burner in doors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dmay

Reaction score
Any one use the turkey fryer burner indoors to cook 5 gal batches. I had done many batches inside and today when wife was home she went off the deep end and thought I was going to kill myself, So in hte middle of a cook had to move out doors in 10 degree weather. Seems to me what is the diff from using a gas stove????

I've got an oversized two car garage with 11' ceilings and I was thinking about cranking a batch in there where it's a balmy 35 degrees. I figure the oxygen levels should stay pretty good with a quick opening of the doors now and then.

Dmay said:
Any one use the turkey fryer burner indoors to cook 5 gal batches. I had done many batches inside and today when wife was home she went off the deep end and thought I was going to kill myself, So in hte middle of a cook had to move out doors in 10 degree weather. Seems to me what is the diff from using a gas stove????

Were you using it in a house or in a garage? In a garage, maybe with the doors open - but inside ? Never should you do that. A turkey fryer can use much more fuel than your run of the mill stove does, even if all the burners and oven were running full blast -- therefore many more fumes to deal with. It should say on the burner, for outside use only.

Here in Massachusetts, home of the freakish building codes, you can't ever have bottled fuel (of that size) inside your home, let alone use it.

There were several cases of carbon monoxide poisoning (including a few deaths) this winter from people using propane grills indoors to heat their homes. I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that ventilation is necessary to dissipate the CO and not just to provide fresh air for combustion. It's the same principle behind not leaving a car running in an enclosed space. So I'd agree with your wife; move the grill outside :)

The combustion produced from a small burner as that of a turkey burner is less. Granted if it is full throttle it may be more than a kitchen stove but when I brew the burner is not full throttle just enough to keep it at a boil. I am looking for a way to fabricate a ventilation system for my brew room. It is so much easier than cooking outside.

truthfully - if you keep using that frier indoors you will never become a senior member here(the dead can't post)

I've been getting ready to move my brewing inside as well and use my trukey fryer in the basement BUT the main concern is ventalation. When it comes to useing that burner inside ventalation is more important then sanatation is when you are fermenting.

If you plan on continuing. build yourself a good hood and make sure it is vented to the outside. I would also suggest on placing a CO dectector close by just in case

I recently brewed indoors--but it was in an a large utility room that had a door to the outside that I left open the entire time. I had a CO and combustible gas detector at the level of the burner about 5 feet from it, and it never read any detectable CO or gas. The other CO detectors as well read zero the entire time.

That said, I had great outside ventilation as the temp in the room promptly plummeted from 60's to 30's.

In general, I would advise against it--

rod said:
truthfully - if you keep using that frier indoors you will never become a senior member here(the dead can't post)

And I have to agree with this. Combustion uses air which means the o2 in the air we need to breathe is being used up and replaced with carbon monoxide and other gases. Also the fire risk is great. Bet your house insurance won't cover you if anything happens.

Recently here someone using a turkey frier to cook a turkey with didn't use common sense and left a frier going on a wooden deck next to his house, and it being a party, left to go inside to get a drink. Time forgotten he quickly realized his mistake when him and his guests barely had time to evacuate the house when it caught fire.
Don't let something stupid ruin your life.

My basement is ventilated but not with a hood, I have a window open. I didn't really want to become a statistic. I like th CO detector ideaHas anyone built a small vent hood cheaply.

I have boiled in the basement with the humidex on high (basically an exhaust fan). I plugged the CO detector in the same room. The kind I have records CO history on a LCD display. It read 0 ppm the whole time (boil, post boil).
Do I recommned it? no. Was it a stupid move? yes. I was fearful the whole boil.

All that said ... The problem, AS I UNDERSTAND IT (MASSIVE DISCLAIMER), with CO formation during burning is incomplete combustion of hydrocarbons or not enough O2. That said... I wonder how well those propane burners are tweaked for fuel to air mixture.... especially with that air foil thingy that you manually adjust while subjectively watching the flame?

I wont be doing it again!

Brewfie

I run my turkey fryer in the basement outside stairwell with the bilco doors partially open & use a fan for further ventilation...I get a good airflow to the outside and it keep me pretty warm.

Propane burning produces much more CO than Natural Gas.

23.5 cubic feet of air is required to burn 1 cubic foot of propane.
MSDS sheet http://www.npga.org/files/public/Tech_Bulletin_NPGA_210-96.pdf

some good safety info: if there is a propane fire, don't extinguish the flame untill the source is shut off (gas will build up and possibly explosivly re-ignite), cool the tank with water untill the tank is shut off, then fight the fire.
There is storage info there too.

http://www.propane.ca/CleanTruth/

You may want to ask about proper ventilating on [urlhttp://www.doityourself.com[/url] make sure to let them know you are not using oil, but boiling water/wort. They have some pretty good advice from what I saw and will point you in the right direction (probably outside or a garage)

Or call up your local propane supplier (home heating supplier, not the guys that just fill portable tanks), they will know all the local codes and requirements.

boo boo said:
Recently here someone using a turkey frier to cook a turkey with didn't use common sense and left a frier going on a wooden deck . . .
:off:
comparing a turkey fryer full of oil to a turkey fryer full of wort/water is like comapring apples to oranges. Until the day I hear about someones wort bursting into flames because they got water to it's flash point I'm going to call shananagins

Last week about an hour from here two little girls (age 11 and 10) died when their trailer home went up in smoke and they were alone. A wood burner burned the house down, and the girls had carbon monoxide in their system, so they were probably unconscious and possibly dead before the fire even broke out. The moral of the story? Using a turkey fryer inside your home is a stupid and possibly deadly thing to do. Do it in your garage out of the wind with the door open. 10 degrees outside and you gotta come inside? Wimp. I brewed last week when it was 13 below without the wind chill and some 25-30 below with it. Dress warm, have some homebrew, and you'll be fine.

Try not to kill more brain cells in the making of the beer...
Lots of really nasty gasses come out of a burner, most almost scentless

Bernie Brewer said:
A wood burner burned the house down, and the girls had carbon monoxide in their system, so they were probably unconscious and possibly dead before the fire even broke out.

Very few people killed in house fires actually die because of the fire/heat. They are usually killed by the smoke and gasses and if they are alseep when the fire starts the usually never even know because they dont wake up.

We have a steak joint here (think it's a chain but cant remember the name ATM, running on zero sleep again) that has a giant charcoal fueled grill pit right out in the open in the middle of the restaurant. As long as you properly ventalate you will be fine, If ya dont you will be dead.

As far as the fire hazard just make sure you clear from combustables about 3 feet in all directions. Think about it . . . I dont now about the rest of you but when I brew with my fryer I stand right next to the thing the entire time. I have all my gear with in reach so I dont have to move and can constantly tend my kettle. The lateral heat given off by my Bayou Classic isnt that great other wise my legs would have been burned off about a year ago.

BTW how may of you (I know I saw alot of it in Texas) have houses that not only have propane heat but propane stoves and ranges? Ventalation is your friend

Pumbaa said:
As long as you properly ventalate you will be fine, If ya dont you will be dead.

Ventalation is your friend

That's pretty much what I was getting at, but you said it much better:) It'd be too hard to provide adequate ventilation for a turkey fryer, though, from inside the house, IMHO

Pumbaa said:
comparing a turkey fryer full of oil to a turkey fryer full of wort/water is like comapring apples to oranges. Until the day I hear about someones wort bursting into flames because they got water to it's flash point I'm going to call shananagins

It wasn't the oil that caught fire. It was the flame that caught the siding afire when the wind blew it against the house and the owner wasn't there to see it. I did say he didn't have common sense. I use mine on my wooden patio and stand by it the whole time. I have a metal sheild keeping the flame going up due to thermal draft from under the cooker, but I take no chances with open fire of any kind.

Torben Ulrich said:
:off: Shananagins? Did somebody say shananagins?

(farva)

actually I was using in the South Park Sense
http://www.twiztv.com/scripts/southpark/season2/southpark-213.htm
Stan: Dude, these dolls are cheap rip-offs! [A Phillip leg falls off]
Kyle: After all that?! Shenanigans! Shenanigans! SHENANIGANS!
[Barbrady, Garrison, and others show up]
Officer Barbrady: What's all this?
Kyle: Officer Barbrady, I would like to reinstate my previous Shenanigans! This whole carnival is a rip-off!
Mr. Garrison: You know, uh, excuse me, but I agree. These rides are really stupid! Chamber of Farts isn't scary at all!
Priest: Yeah, and the food is terrible!
Chamber of Farts Operator: Hey, it's just a stupid rodeo. What do you expect?
Officer Barbrady: Ho-kay okay, let's calm down. People of South Park, do you declare Shenanigans on the carnival people?
Townspeople: Yeah!
Officer Barbrady: Okay, carnival people, do you accept this decree of Shenanigans?
Woman: …What the hell are you talking about?! This whole town is screwy!
Officer Barbrady: Well, that settles it! Everybody grab a broom, it's Shenanigans!
[the town cheers, and some of the folks have brooms already. They gang up on the carnival people and beat them all for a long time. Stan and Kyle just watch]

The fact that this guy is coming on here asking whether this is okay AFTER THE FACT is reason enough to ridicule him. Every year, you hear about idiots who fire up their generator inside when the power goes out, and end up dead from the carbon monoxide fumes. So, why, without asking FIRST, would you even think about firing up a 55,000 BTU propane burner inside? I don't mean to be so harsh, but that sounds like a Darwin Award in the making. And aside from the carbon monoxide issue, there's the whole "bigass flame indoors" thing that should send up a red flag or two. Or fifty.

Put on a coat, grow some balls, and enjoy the blustering, refreshingly cold weather. I know for a fact that the suffering you go through makes the finished product better.

Ventalation where ever you brew is central. Also, the floor under those cookers get pretty hot, so fire concern. Also, boil overs happen and I wouldn't want that mess in SWMBO's house. That alone could be a fatal mistake.

Evan! said:
Put on a coat, grow some balls, and enjoy the blustering, refreshingly cold weather. I know for a fact that the suffering you go through makes the finished product better.

Dude, you live in Virgina; WTF do you know about the cold? ;)

lol...

i cant boil outside with the propaine burner here in cleveland oh. it's just too windy to keep the flame on the pot and a rolling boil is near impossible to reach during the winter months. we boil inside the garage, usually with the windows cracked open in front and back to allow a decent air flow. summer and fall we open the door cause it's warm

Evan! said:
The fact that this guy is coming on here asking whether this is okay AFTER THE FACT is reason enough to ridicule him. Every year, you hear about idiots who fire up their generator inside when the power goes out, and end up dead from the carbon monoxide fumes. So, why, without asking FIRST, would you even think about firing up a 55,000 BTU propane burner inside? I don't mean to be so harsh, but that sounds like a Darwin Award in the making. And aside from the carbon monoxide issue, there's the whole "bigass flame indoors" thing that should send up a red flag or two. Or fifty.

Well Evan yes WTF do you know about the cold in VA, NY has been 0 with wind chill below -25, Its not the fact I don't have big balls, but it takes much longer to heat the wort. And yes kinda foolish to fire up a gas powered generator indoors (much more CO or by product of combustion). My small turkey fryer burns much cleaner and less CO, and Yes I did have ventilation just not on the floor where CO lives. So a Darwin award I'm:mug: not sure I am up for but I will agree this is not the best thing to do. But hey thanks for the input.

D-:mug:

Dmay said:
Well Evan yes WTF do you know about the cold in VA, NY has been 0 with wind chill below -25, Its not the fact I don't have big balls, but it takes much longer to heat the wort. And yes kinda foolish to fire up a gas powered generator indoors (much more CO or by product of combustion). My small turkey fryer burns much cleaner and less CO, and Yes I did have ventilation just not on the floor where CO lives. So a Darwin award I'm:mug: not sure I am up for but I will agree this is not the best thing to do. But hey thanks for the input.

Ah, 'twas partly in jest anyhow (the part about the balls:D ), but, regardless...my point was that when it comes to open flame indoors, it's usually best to make sure it's safe before actually firing it up.

If you have a -25f windchill, man, I'd say it might be time to move ;). It's a little like the folks who keep rebuilding trailer parks in hurricane alley. Either that, or perhaps think about a system that taps into your natural gas (if you have service), or just become a fair-weather brewer.

Admittedly, our temps here are balmy f'ing caribbean (hehe, up in the 40's today) compared to yours. And you probably have 11 feet of snow too. But IF I were you, and it WAS that cold outside, I think I might have to invest in a NG system, or just move. :D Propane inside your house is a recipe for disaster, in all seriousness.

the_bird said:
Dude, you live in Virgina; WTF do you know about the cold? ;)

The reason I don't live in upstate NY is the same reason I don't live in New Orleans. We get just enough seasonal variation here, without the absurd extremes of the northeast or the deep south. It gets into the teens here, and I shake my fist at the sky :D.

BTW, birdman, I haven't forgotten about you, I've just been busy. That brew'll be in the mail this week, I promise. :mug:

Oh, and by the way, I don't live in "Virgina".

Its all good!! I live for the cold just don't like cooking beer in it. Besides the skiing is much better up here than in the deep south haha

I like to brew with a 5,000,000 BTU propane burner in a small room. I sit on the propane tank right next to the burner, covered in gasoline while lighting a cigar with a butane torch. If I really get excited, I start bumping the propane tank against the burner. If it's taking to long, I just hold a nitrous oxide bottle down next to the flames and open the valve a little.

Just kidding. Wow, this medicine is stronger than I thought.

Anyway, what we really do is brew inside a garage with 15ft ceilings. We open both doors about a foot above the floor to vent the CO. About the worst thing is you can smell the propane exhaust a little near the ceiling (at the top of the stairs). Other than that, we don't have any problems. Just make sure the area around the burner is clear.

Back