Rapid chilling of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfdunphy

Reaction score
Looking for information on rapid chilling of beer. especially in hot weather, for parties where there are several cases of beer to be chilled. Key consideration is to use safe ingredients, so special handling required for Carbon Dioxide (dry ice) is out. Beer is in metal cans, glass bottles, and plastic bottles.

Best bet is a mix of ice, water and rock salt. I've had it freeze canned beer in a matter of 15 mins......

The mythbusters had an episode about this topic. The best way they found to cool down beer is a fire extinguisher. The second best way they found was the ice water and salt method.

About 20 years ago, someone actually made a beer can with a little CO2 bottle in it. Pull the tab and in 30 seconds, you had a can of half frozen, half warm beer.

Yup, ice and salt work wonders. Careful you don't freeze your beer.

If you use just ice and water in a bath and chuck your beer in there they should be pretty cold w/in 1/2hr.

For the brewer that has everything but a fridge full of beer.

B0000U3CIW.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1068599543_.jpg

I can cool a bottle of Homebrew in minutes.

They need to make a model that runs on propane, to take camping.

Now this gives me an idea.. and help me out here if you've ever considered or done this..

It seems to me if that if a mixture of ice, water, and rock salt (the stuff they use for ice cream, correct?) can quickly cool and freeze a can of beer, a sink full of ice, water, and rock salt could very quickly get my boiling wort down to pitching temp?

Does this sound reasonable?

Ahh evolution of ideas.... I submerge my brew kettle into an ice/water bath to rapidly cool it to pitching temp, just be careful you don’t get any of the salt water in your brew. My advice is use less water than you think is necessary. Tap water is warm enough to melt a significant portion of the ice on it's own, limiting this source of "heat" preserves more ice. The kettle will melt enough ice in 5 minutes to make an ice/water slush that works wonders for cooling a big stainless pot. On the other hand, as solids (salt) will dissolve much more readily into a warm water solution, you could preheat a couple gallons of water, mix in a massive amount of salt then place the mixture in the fridge. When it has cooled add the cold salt water to the ice. The problem is that by the time you buy salt and 2 or 3 big bags of ice you've spent a few dollars. The ice works wonders, but I’m looking into making a wort chiller out of copper tubing so that I only have a one time expense.

My friend and I each own submerssion wort chillers. I bought an adapter recently to connect them in line - one in ice water, the other in the hot wort. Next time, I'm putting rock salt in the ice water to make it even colder and cool even quicker.

Thanks for the idea!

Ive heard of people putting their bare feet in that mixture of ice salt and water for a competition.

Back