musty bucket - throw it out?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgers

Reaction score
So my last batch came out a little funky -- batch got a late start (2-1/2 days) prob cuz i was drunk and pitched the yeast at 90 degrees. when i took it out of primary in the plastic bucket, it smelled sort of like mildew in a locker room. its been in secondary for 3 weeks and now it sort of smells like harpoon IPA but musty. i'm going to bottle it anyway just in case it comes out ok.

but the real issue is that the bucket still smells musty/midewy even though i've soaked it in santizer twice and bleach once. It's a relatively new bucket and doesn't appear scratched or anything. Should I throw it out or is it safe to re-use? I don't want my equipment to contaminate a new batch.

Any thoughts?

hmm are you saying to use a turkey bag as a bucket liner? i never would have thought of that!

just wanted to get back to you with my results on this -- i finally took your advice and used the turkey bag. it was a little tricky to fill with wort since the bag was slightly smaller than my 5 gal bucket -- and i couldn't quite get the bag folded over the entire rim. but at the end of the day, it worked fine, the krausen never overflowed the bag, and disposal was SO FREAKIN EASY!!! This is a great trick that I will definitely be using again.

Thanks!!
Jason

Back