Boil Kettle Dip Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deofol

Reaction score
It's nothing special, but I threw this together on Saturday. I was getting sick of whirl pooling my boils, and loosing the extra wort or having to tip my kettle and ending up getting hops and trub in my fermentor during the siphon.

copper_drain.jpg

It's a 1/2 to 3/8 compression fitting, and a little finesse with some copper tube.

I did a test run with water and it did an excellent job of getting every last bit of liquid out. First real test brew will be this week.

Anyone else have similar setups or improved ideas?

i wanted to incorporate a ss braid into mine for filtering hops and other boil ingredients. this is what i came up with:

DSC_0097.jpg

there was an accidental added benefit to this unsoldered setup. the loose fittings draw a little bit of air into the piping once the water level is low enough, causing built-in aeration. this wouldn't be beneficial for a CFC setup but with my IC it gives works, gives some nice bubbles running into the carboy.

Deofol said:
It's nothing special, but I threw this together on Saturday. I was getting sick of whirl pooling my boils, and loosing the extra wort or having to tip my kettle and ending up getting hops and trub in my fermentor during the siphon.

copper_drain.jpg

It's a 1/2 to 3/8 compression fitting, and a little finesse with some copper tube.

I did a test run with water and it did an excellent job of getting every last bit of liquid out. First real test brew will be this week.

Anyone else have similar setups or improved ideas?

A SS scrubby wrapped around the tip of your dip tube! (HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! ROFLMAO!!! I crack myself up!!!) No, seriously. You would have the same clearance not to mention the peace of mind that if some hops floated off of the whirlpool cone they wouldn't end up in the fermenter. AND AN ADDED BONUS!!!!! You have a nice sanitized cleaning scrubber handy and ready to go when you are done!!! :rockin:

Strong work. I think whirlpooling is still a good idea, though. You won't really have to worry 'bout too much hop matter if you use a paint strainer bag, though. Search "Lil' Sparky is tha man!" for a great device.

Back