I can't believe the store did (does) that!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cluckk

Reaction score
Yesterday for New Years Eve, my wife and I had a dinner planned, and I always like to pick up a nice new beer to try for such evenings. I picked up a Smoked Imperial Porter and a Barleywine to go with the steaks and steamed oysters. The beer department of this store is fairly careful how they display and store their beers and the people who work in the department are pretty knowledgeable. When I went to checkout, the clerk scanned them and laid them on their side on the conveyor. I looked over to see the bottles rolling over and over and over and over. I could see large bubbles in the top of the Barleywine as if someone had shaken it vigorously. Perhaps we can have them for dinner this weekend.

If they weren't bottle conditioned, they'd be completely fine. With bottle conditioned ones the yeast would get stirred up, so I understand that being a problem. A short time chilling should get any CO2 back in solution to avoid a gusher of any sort. I open the for dinner as planned.

If they weren't bottle conditioned, they'd be completely fine. With bottle conditioned ones the yeast would get stirred up, so I understand that being a problem. A short time chilling should get any CO2 back in solution to avoid a gusher of any sort. I open the for dinner as planned.

They were bottle conditioned. That is what torqued me off about it. If it had been some of the dead-in-the-bottle stuff I wouldn't have cared.

Ha, the clerk at the liquor store did this to me too. This probably belongs in the "stupid things you've overheard about beer" thread, but she actually said rolling them will help me mix up the flavor that had settled to the bottom...facepalm.

The really irritating thing is when stores which should know better do this. More than once, I've had checkers at an expensive upscale national food chain roll bottles of Ommegang around on the scanner. C'mon, guys, that's not why we're paying big bucks.

Ha, the clerk at the liquor store did this to me too. This probably belongs in the "stupid things you've overheard about beer" thread, but she actually said rolling them will help me mix up the flavor that had settled to the bottom...facepalm.

someone probably heard about doing that to Hefe's and she heard it from them in regards to all beer, and now spreads the same misinformation. or she was probably trying to cover her butt in front of the customer. hahahaha!

Back