Is this mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I went to look at my carboy that had my bourbon barrel porter in it and noticed all these specs of stuff in it. I've tried to attached pictures and was hoping some one might know what it is. I would hate to have to throw it out. The porter sat in first carboy for 2 weeks and I transferred into the second with the bourbon soaked cubes already in the carboy.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

image-2766437136.jpg

image-301306213.jpg

Kind of hard to see, but it doesn't look like it to me. I'm guessing yeast rafts.

Is that a water mark on the outside of the carboy in the second pic or is that on the inside?

Gear101 said:
Is that a water mark on the outside of the carboy in the second pic or is that on the inside?

Yes it is on the outside. Also I don't know the abv and after looking closer some of it is white and grey. Maybe it is just yeast.

Hard to see in the pics, but it does look suspect. The fact they are so close together makes me wonder if it may be something bad.

Give the carboy a gentle rock once or twice. Don't shake, just rock it an inch or two. If the "stuff" sinks quickly, or breaks up into very small bubbles, your probably good. If it doesn't go anywhere, it might be trouble.

Back