Frustrated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happyvdubber

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm putting together a shopping list for my first brew, IPA... or at least, thought I was.

I'm frustrated by the lack of malt extracts available in my area. When initially reading "How to Brew" - Palmer, I had expecting to be able to go into my LHBS and order 6lbs of this LME, 2lbs of that DME, maybe a 1/2lb of this specialty grain and a couple oz's of these hops. Finish off with some yeast and formulate my own shopping list based on a recipe found on this site or elsewhere online.

The reality is, I am stuck with a beer "kit", which means I may not be able to even brew the beer of my choice (depending on kit availability). Without available additions, I can't even replicate many of the recipes I see online. :( What's a guy to do without decent resources? I've read on this forum that many kit beers end up tasting the same?

If your LHBS doesn't have what you want, try shopping from one of the reputable online retailers. They have all the ingredients you could want. The most used are morebeer.com, Austin Home Brew Supply, Midwest, and Northern Brewer. :mug:

Well you could always order online.

Don't worry - beer kits turn out good. I understand wanting to pick and choose your ingredients and all, but there is nothing wrong with a beer kit.

I get most of my stuff at the local homebrew store just because I like to go in there and look around and talk to the people, maybe sample one of their home brews. But I buy stuff online as well because sometimes its less expensive and there is a bigger selection.

If you're brewing with extract, then honestly theres not that much difference in an extract recipe and a kit. The ingredients are basically the same. If you want to add steeping grains and extra stuff you can customize it a bit.

Don't be frustrated, just get that kit in the fermenter and then take your time shopping for your next kit, maybe order some stuff online. I don't think anyone was every hurt by making an extra batch of beer.

I live in the middle of nowhere, so all my shopping is online unless I'm traveling. All those companies brloomis mentioned are good, quick, reputable, with fresh products. I have to plan in advance, so I'll order enough for two or three batches and of course I have plenty of hops in the freezer. I can't brew on the spur of the moment, but I can get whatever supplies I need fairly quickly.

Ordering liquid yeasts is the only problem- I order dry yeast in the summer because even with the ice pack the yeast is warm when it arrives here. Otherwise, it's great.

Back