Time for new batch ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alemann

Reaction score
Well my buddy did his first batch and a week in no signs of krausen , he thinks he put the yeast in while it was too hot . Is the batch ruined ?

Well my buddy did his first batch and a week in no signs of krausen , he thinks he put the yeast in while it was too hot . Is the batch ruined ?

did you check the OG? Have you checked it again? if you kept everything sanitized, just repitch new yeast. Generally I would think the wort would have to be Really hot to kill all the yeast completely though it's more of an issue of giving your beer bad flavors if it was too warm. I assume he is using a carboy where he could see the krausen? i brew in buckets and use an airlock and once I see that airlock moving I don't touch it for at least a full week

He did not check of and he popped the top at a week I'll tell him to keep it and try it

Well, if you popped the lid off after a week then the kraussen most likely raised and already fell to the bottom of the fermentor.
I agree with these guys, gotta check the gravity.

Yeah, the krasen is come and gone in the first 24-36 hours of fermentation, typically. What you should see, however, is a ring of residue just above the wort level where the krausen used to be.

But yeah, you are focusing on the wrong thing. Gravity is the only true indicator of fermentation.

I've brewed the same exact brew before at different times and had heavy krausen in one and almost undetectable krausen in another, so it is inconsistent at best as a sign of fermentation.

Back