Did I just ruin my element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboblitt

Reaction score
Si I just brewed my first beer using my recently converted e-kettle. When I was done I did a quick PBW soak to clean everything up. While soaking I notice a couple of small white spots forming on the element so I quickly dumped and rinsed the PBW. There are now a half dozen small black spots on the element. Has anyone else seen this happen? Any idea what it might be?

Corosion. Mineral / PBW build up. Once the element cools, you can wipe the element down with warm water. This is simular to what happens in the electric hot water heater. The power of the PBW is reacting with the element coating. Not a big deal. I have an electric HLT, same events happen. Once I drain, I wipe it down

Make up a weak solution of CLR and water, spray the element after each use and wipe it clean. Rinse well afterward to ensure it is safe to use in the next batch. Calcium, Lime and Rust build up is the same as an electric hot water tank, you just don't see the element in a tank everyday.

Salute! :mug:

I bet it is just some of the Zinc plating coming off the element. I removed the Zinc coating on my element with a scotch brite pad because I did not want all that Zinc in my wort. Under the Zinc coating you will find beautiful copper unless you have an incoloy element.

Back