3 gal batch,too much roasted barley/choc malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
My total grain bill for my 3 gallon stout batch is about 6.5 pounds. Of which, 3.6 oz are roasted barley and 3.6 oz are choc malt. I made a 5 gallon batch recipie in beer smith and used the scale function.

I made one stout and had way too much roasted and black malt. I ended up witha smokey mess. I am trying to avoid the same mistake.

Those amounts of chocolate malt & roasted barley are fine - about 3.5% of your grist each. I have a stout with 4% RB + 8% choc. malt, and it's wonderful - it's not lasting nearly as long as I'd have liked...

My total grain bill for my 3 gallon stout batch is about 6.5 pounds. Of which, 3.6 oz are roasted barley and 3.6 oz are choc malt. I made a 5 gallon batch recipie in beer smith and used the scale function.

I made one stout and had way too much roasted and black malt. I ended up witha smokey mess. I am trying to avoid the same mistake.

Smokey mess? How long has it been bottled?

When I went to bottle the smokiness tapered. Haven't tasted the final bottle yet. This recipie was another shot at it

Back